Skip to main content

Homesteading Reality ~ Spring Chicks

I have lost 4 chickens so far this year.  First the Auracana who broke her leg, then Sparta (rooster), then about two weeks later I lost 2 barred rocks for no reason other than natural causes (old age?).  I starting looking up the dates to see how old they were, getting worried I'd lose more.  My heart was breaking of course, but it's part of homesteading.



Apparently I bought them back on 3-3-2011 , and in today's world a chicken's life expectancy is about 8-10 years (not like 20 in the old days).  They are 8 years old.  By the way that yellow chick turned out to be a white rooster, and he didn't live very long.  The barred rocks lived the longest of any breed we've had.  They are the best producer for us as well.



I brought home 7 barred rock chicks(thanks to a ride from a daughter), and that's her ESA dog Mia checking them out.
By the way, I was complimented on how I raise my layers.  I mentioned the fact my barred rocks were 8 years old and still had some to the store employee.  She responded, "wow, you must baby them."  Meaning most don't live that long and she was pretty surprised to hear that mine are still alive (some of them).

This however, puts a damper on my need to raise meat birds.  I just don't have the space to raise the layers and meat birds inside.  Next spring it'll happen.  Unless....I am unlucky enough to get 7 roosters out of this straight run purchase.  Then I'll have 6 meat birds in the freezer.   I was too late to order pullets, so say a prayer I get some hens.  

They only had cornish rocks anyway.  I want white rocks.  Next year....next year....

The contract was voted no at Hubby's work.  This means they will continue to negotiate until they have an agreement that is actually fair.  It'll be a long spring for us.  This company is brutal.

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
A joy to see the chicks. Disappointing news on hubby's contract, you are in my prayers that a better deal can be negotiated.
Thanks mamasmercantile, we are praying the employees get a fair contract to pass.
Nancy In Boise said…
I've had really good luck with barred rocks too. With a much smaller flock I get mixed chicks to ID purposes. Mine have all been pretty docile and good layers.
Thanks Nancy, we really like the barred rocks too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart