Skip to main content

Gettin' the "Itch" and other random stuff

Yesterday I totally went bonkers.  I had the itch to get outside and get flower beds, and the herb garden tidied up.  That itch to get outside was raging like a wild fire I tell ya'.


I yanked on my muck boots and got an early start in the very weedy herb garden.  Two buckets of weeds and 1 hour later I felt replenished.  Next visit will require a wheel barrow.  What a mess I left it in, but boy it felt so good to get a start on it and be outside in the dirt.  Green onions and chives are already coming up.  I timed it just right too, and got some sun.  Shortly after, the clouds covered.



Aside from regular chores, I dug into the baking mode. I made homemade granola bars.  I couldn't find my own recipe, so I resorted to the internet, adapting with what fruits, nuts and seeds I had.  They were very good too.  Soft and delicious.

I got my heirloom cabbage seeds planted.  I so wish I had more space right now.  I really need my green house, but we'll see what goes right this summer for now.  My green onion starts are up too.  Last year, most had died off in my garden, so I purchased an heirloom variety to replenish my herb garden this year.


At two weeks old, the chicks are growing their neck feathers.


I purchased a subscription with this magazine.  Now say a prayer, send me good mojo.  I'm bad about sitting and reading anything lately.



Comments

Carol said…
I was out yesterday afternoon getting wood and wondered if it was warm enough for the grand doll to be outside. It simply wasn't. I wanted to be outside as well. Maybe we have a touch of spring fever.
Pink Rose said…
Hi Kristina wow you have been very busy,your slice looks so yummy ,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx
Mama Pea said…
Must have felt really good to get out in the dirt! Our snow is melting like crazy (very early this year) but I'm still a long way from being able to do anything garden-wise outside. Will be starting seeds inside here within a week.
Sam I Am...... said…
Good for you getting out and pulling those weeds! I could go out today but now it's looking like rain...we'll see. When did you get the baby chicks?
StitchThrifty said…
Please review the magazine that looks really interesting. Have a great spring day!
mamasmercantile said…
Those chicks are so cute, what a delight they are. Glad you managed to get some work done in the garden, it is so nice to get out into the fresh air.
Carol, had the sun not been out, it may have been a bit too chilly.
Mama Pea, it was so nice to get outside.
Sam I Am, we got the chicks March 2nd.
StitchThrifty, I will sure to make updates on the magazine.
Thanks mamasmercantile, it was very nice to get outside.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart