Skip to main content

Wacky Weather

The weather is just like any other year here in this state can you have a thunderstorm, hail storm, and snow in 24 hours.  Tuesday it was 52 and warm, no wind.  Suddenly we had a major thunderstorm, which quickly turned into a major hail storm. 



Wednesday morning the snow rolled in, along with cold temps.  I woke up to a stone cold wood stove.  Not good.  Took me forever to heat up the house again.  I think Hubby and I both were just too tired to remember to do the last stoking of the fire.


Dinner has been "on the fly."  One night it was breakfast for dinner - biscuits and sausage gravy, fried potatoes and scrambled "farm fresh" eggs.  

It would have been homemade pizza last night, but someone forgot to restock the mozzarella cheese.  


Here is a better look at my new candy dish.  We joked we'd put celery in it, ha ha!  Not sure what I'll put in it just yet.  Maybe organic mints.



(click here for the instructions)

I started making these ornaments way back in 2014.  Yikes.  As I removed the ornaments from the tree, I realized I had never finished them for some reason.  I will be adding this to my winter list.  First, I'll need to locate the box they are located in, ha ha!  I just may get them done this year.

There has been many breaking and enterings going on.  One recent one was a Cashland not far from home.  Oddly, the driver's ed used to be in the same building but moved over the years.  The guy probably drove past our homestead.  Either way, I'm always on guard and house kept locked.  I have two dogs here too to alert me.  I'm babysitting Mia again.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
It doesn't seem to slow down after Christmas does it? Great picture of your weather....it's been pretty nice here but it's January so I'm sure some weather will show up sometime. It's cold this morning....24 F but will warm to 47 and it's sunny. Take care!
mamasmercantile said…
Wacky weather indeed, it seems to be happening all over the world. Love the red dish, would be a perfect for some after dinner mints. Loved the Christmas ornament, something to think about for next year.
Susan said…
Wow, your biscuits look wonderful! We are having the same wacky, wild weather and I'm about over with it. Too bad it's just started. I'm glad you have the dogs - that is the one thing that makes me feel safe, living alone. Hope they catch the thief soon!
Sam I Am, our weather is frigid cold, and will stay that way for awhile. Sadly. But...I'm taking advantage of it and getting indoor stuff done too.
Susan, thanks. We love the biscuits for breakfast gravy. Mmm good.
Mama Pea said…
We may have you all beat with a temp of only 13 above here at nearly noon. I think we had 3 above as an over night low.

Very scary knowing of break-ins and robberies close by. A relative once complained of a break-in in the house next door to them. She said it made them afraid to leave home. I said it would make me afraid to stay home! Hope the thieves are found soon. And, yes, having the dogs with you is a good idea.
Pink Rose said…
Hi Kristna wow lots going on weather wise at your place,buggar the fire going out.
Love your new candy dish ,your biscuits we call them scones over here and we have jam and cream on them so yummy.
Love you tiny xmas decorations ,they are so cute,hope you hav ea lovely day my friend xx
Mama Pea, sometimes it is a bit scary going to the store. Especially when you know one next door was robbed. But yeah, I think this world we live in now is scary period. Your temps are much colder than ours. Brrr.
Thank you Sheryl, hoping your week is grand.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart