Skip to main content

Snow ~ Dinner Rolls Trial #2 ~ Sorghum Butter

Oh my.  Yesterday I had so much to do, a lot going on (windshield guy showed up and Jalopy Joe is back in action almost), and by noon I realized I had not made the teriyaki sauce.  Whoops.  I had laundry, carpets to clean, move furniture, spot clean carpets, dust, wipe woodwork, wash a few blankets, was my dirty rags, take a dog out (in, then out, in, then out...), dishes to wash, dry and put away, dinner prep and so forth.  I even got a a teeny tiny, itsy bitsy start at handmade Christmas gifts.



I had to wait for my daughter to get home, to help move an antique desk into the living room.  It belonged to Hubby's Mom.

We woke up to our first snow this morning.  At a chilly 33°F too.  Blowing and cold.  Old man Jesse couldn't hold his ol' bladder, so he woke us up at precisely 5:05am, which makes me wonder if his Mom will be able to do the same for him when she gets her new living arrangements come next summer.




I made these rolls once before, but wanted to make them again, using 2 baking dishes for feeding the large crowd on Thanksgiving day.  Successfully, I baked 40 rolls with this recipe, at 20 per baking sheet.  Delicious too.  The recipe is an overnight one (which is what I love about this recipe), and you can find it at Rebecca Knox's blog - Refrigerator Rolls. By the way, these are amazing the day after they are baked as well. 



I also made sorghum butter to try on these rolls (and later on cornbread).  By the way, it was delicious.

To make sorghum butter - 1 part syrup, 2 parts unsalted, softened butter.  Mix and enjoy!  

Comments

Rebecca Knox said…
We got our first snow this morning, too, and are supposed to have record low temperatures tonight. Your rolls turned out beautifully and the sorghum butter sounds fascinating! Thanks for sharing a link back to my blog. What a surprise! Blessings and stay warm tonight! <3
mamasmercantile said…
Those dinner rolls look delicious, I must admit I do cheat and use a bread making machine. Snow seems a little early or is that normal for your area?
Rebecca, thank you for the recipe. We love them.
mamasmercantile, we've had snow in October here a few times, but it just melted away. I do believe old man winter is here for good this time. It'll be in the low 20's for us for a while.
Sam I Am...... said…
The rolls look good although for some reason our family has never been big on them. I take it you are having company for Thanksgiving?
Unknown said…
Yes, Sam I Am, we are hosting it for Hubby's side of the family.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart