Skip to main content

Preparedness ~ Weeding and no rain

I drained another jar of 4 thieves vinegar.  It lasts a year in the fridge, so if I have the ingredients I'm making another jar during this hot, hot summer.  It's a blessing to have during winter when sickness runs rampant, and with one still in school, germs are a plenty.

Un-burying the herb has started.  I'm about to mow down the carrots though.

Upon pulling the tall weeds in the end of the herb garden, I noticed my green onions were killed off for the first time in all the years I had them.


I have about 4-5 left, so this was a sad moment.  That end used to be packed with so many green onions, I'd have to pull some bulbs every two years.  The parsley is dry as a bone and the dirt is like concrete there too.

Spent yesterday morning in the potatoes, and more to weed.  They look terrible. It's very iffy at this point if we'll get much of anything.  The potatoes will most likely have a post of their own soon.  What a mess.

We seriously lack rain.  The grass is bone dry, and even the plantain is starting to die off.  However, we are hearing that the rain is returning possibly late tomorrow and all through the weekend.   My goal is to weed out all the potatoes before it arrives, and hope for the best.

Yesterday, I was down right exhausted, so I made a cup of hot tea using part gingko and part nettle, to restore my energy.  It worked too.  I could actually breath better too.

Comments

Yarrow said…
I forgot to say on my previous comment, that I use grass cuttings to mulch my vegetables and it's saved me so much time with weeding and it's helping everything to stay moist in this baking heat. My vegetable beds are all new, so after a layer of cardboard and manure the only real invader has been grass. Maybe cover your beds this winter with cardboard to get a head start. You've been doing it all longer than me,so I hope I'm not out of line :D
Yarrow, we have plans to collect cardboard, and we plan to try and cover most of it or all of it this winter.
Yarrow said…
I hope you find it as helpful as I have. Of course, I had lots of cardboard packing boxes to get rid of, so that helped no end :D
Susan said…
This has been one challenging year. I've never had so much trouble with weeds before - we finally got rain and at least it's easier to pull them. I am glad that this was the year I decided not to put in the full garden! I hope you get enough rain to make a difference.
Debby Flowers said…
HI Kristina - I haven't taken time to read blog posts in a while - am so sorry about your dry weather! That is one thing we have had plenty of. The weeds in my garden are waist high - too with my town job and my soap business to attend to them - makes me pretty sad. Just hang in there girl! Wishing you well
Susan, no rain as of today, but they say we'll get some this weekend. I'm sure hoping for it. I've never had this bad of a weed problem.
Debby, thanks for stopping in. You should see the thistle in my rose bed - 5-6 feet high, ha ha ha!
mamasmercantile said…
It is raining here as I am typing this so will send some your way.
RB said…
Dry here too. But we got 2-1/2" of rain the other day. What a blessing cause the corn, tobacco and such was literally burning up in the fields. Suppose to get more next week. Praying it's beneficial and not a gully-washer like we usually get here. (We either get nothing or wrath of God stuff in this little town for some reason).
Have been to the VAMC-Durham several times, and they're getting my health straight. Good to have tolerable-to-no pain for the first time in months. Praise and Thank God!!!
Have you ever heard of "opium lettuce"? It grows abundantly in yards. does NOT contain opium and isn't habit forming, but is a natural pain reliever that is said to be quite effective. It can be harvested in July and August. Can be used in salads or with other greens, or can be cooked down to a tincture. It's all online. I found some in my yard, and have been taking a small bite every now and then thru the day. A bit bitter, but not intolerably so. It'll probably take a few days before I know if it's doing anything. Very interesting!!!
Prayers you get the rain you need, in beneficial amounts, not wrath of God stuff.
God bless.
RB
<><
We need rain badly, thank you mamasmercantile
RB, I have never heard of that lettuce. Sounds interesting. They are talking about bad hail and wind now, so I hope we don't get that.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart