Skip to main content

Recipes Morel and Nettle Bake ~ Random Tidbits

Although a bit late for morel mushrooms here, I'm sharing a recipe I found you all may like.  I hope to try it next spring.  I'd probably use ground organic oats with some Italian herbs, or grind up some homemade "croutons" for this recipe.


I've saved many recipes for deer and such from my mother, but I'm starting to collect more recipes for rabbit lately.  I'm still on the fence on raising meat rabbits, but Hubby is still on the fence with me too.  It's all about money and time.  Also, I'll need to learn how to clean them and prep them for the freezer.  We've had a boat load of wild rabbits here lately, and I'm keeping an eye on my garden.  

One of our barn cats chased a baby squirrel up under the porch and under my legs the other morning.  She missed her breakfast, as it ran back off the porch and up the pine tree.  They too will clean my fruit trees, so I'm watching those too.

Well, if you are wondering, Hubby took me to urgent care in style - on the Harley.  Fresh air is good right?  The night before that, we attended a dance performance.  I'll admit it was amazing.  It was from young to old and very fun to watch, but after an hour and at intermission I had to leave.  We missed the last half, but I felt horrible (night before urgent care).  It was so hot in the auditorium, and I felt like I was suffocating with my congestion, and was very fatigued (although I had taken a nap).  My teas, tinctures, and hot bone broth must not have been enough.

I'm back to antibiotics, and I may be taking Youngest in to the doc next.  I'm dosing her up with probiotics, teas and the likes, but we'll see later today.  

I have a plan for a new lip balm to be made.  I need to fill the dehydrator to get that one started.

The rain has hit us again, and it's very, very wet out this morning.  The remaining plants and seeds remain un-planted, and that's just how it will be until it dries up.  I have space to get the sweet potatoes in, but it's a muddy mess out there.  

My house is a mess, but the baby clothes are packed into the trunk of my car until I am cootie-free to deliver.  One musical instrument has been successfully sold, and another up for sale.  The kids have picked up the truck and moved their kitchen table, bathroom cabinet, dresser and whatever else would fit, and they now have a couch too.  They are slowly making their apartment into a living space now.  We have more to move yet too.

Today is another day of rest for Youngest and myself.  I may check on the nettles again today, but need to find my gloves first.  

Hubby picked a good handful of strawberries last night, so it's yogurt and fruit for breakfast.  Both of us with "cooties" need it anyway.

Comments

Susan said…
I need to get out and harvest some nettle tops for tea! I keep forgetting and they will soon be too big to use. I only found morels once and I would love to find them again!!
mamasmercantile said…
Sorry to hear that you are still feeling unwell and needing antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon. Our garden is overrun with wild rabbits at the moment, they certainly create havoc.
Susan, I think we will try to get permission from someone to hunt for morels next year.
mamasmercantile, thanks. We are sipping teas today.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart