Skip to main content

Radish Hashbrowns

New for me to try - Radish Hash Browns.  Just brown the edges of some onion in butter, then add radishes.  Cook until soft on the inside. Cover if necessary, add salt and pepper, thyme and paprika.

The taste test results?



These were incredibly good.  I think I cooked them about 10 minutes (were not done before that so I put a lid on them, then added the spices and cook a bit more.  I only made enough for 3 people and could have eaten these for breakfast, they were that tasty.  I'll be planting more french breakfast radishes next year (it's what I used for this).  I'm betting any variety of radish would taste good this way.  My cherry belle should be about ready to harvest in a few days too.

Guess what's back this morning?  The rain.  In full force too.  Sigh.  I didn't get all of my garlic weeded, but 3/4ths of it is.  The Russian Creole looks terrible, but not that it's weeded it should recover I hope.  Some were flooded out, but I'll take what we get.  

The popcorn and pumpkins are sprouted, so I'm thrilled, but one row of wax beans looks iffy.  I'll fall plant if I need to.

There are deer prints in my pumpkin patch.  I may be getting a dog sooner than later.  We never had a problem until the dogs moved with the kids.  I guess we'll see.  We have lots of work to get done, and I know a puppy needs attention.




Comments

Rain said…
Oh no, the deer...we are okay with that particular problem because I don't think they come this far into the village, but I guess with the 3 dogs, we're pretty good at keeping garden eating monsters at bay. Wow...radish hashbrowns...never even thought of that! How very cool, do they lose a bit of their pepperiness in the cooking? I grew some radish last year, but we both found them too peppery for our fragile digestions.
Rain the radishes do not taste peppery at all. It's very good.
mamasmercantile said…
We are having issues with rabbits at the moment. Thankfully it is quite hard for the deer to get through the fences we have. I loved both the look and the sound of radish hashbrowns, will be giving that a try.
Thanks mamasmercantile, let me know if you like the radishes. We loved them.
Connie said…
We have been so surprised (pleasantly surprised) that we haven't had a deer problem here. This is the first time that I have heard of cooking radishes. I've also been hearing about people cooking cucumbers . . . they are both news to me. I guess I better get with the times, LOL.
Connie, I have roasted radishes with other veggies too. Very good.
angryparsnip said…
I have roasted Radishes in the oven.
Try a shelter around you they have great dogs to adopt. I just adopted another sweetheart !

cheers, parsnip
Thanks angryparsnip. All of our dogs have been rescue dogs. I'd like to get a fence up soon before getting a new one.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart