Skip to main content

I have a tea for that. . .

My family makes jokes about how often they hear me say, "I have a tea for that."  I say it often, because I truly do have a tea for what ails them at the time.  If I don't, I go searching for what I can give them.

Hubby is a true believer after I gave him a hot cup of freshly grated ginger tea (fresh is the best vs. a teabag from the store) for an upset stomach.  One daughter drinks raspberry leaf tea for her cramps (PMS).  

My Dad used to ask me "Is it Tea Time in Tanganyika?"  In my earlier years, when the kids were toddlers, days were often pretty busy and chaotic.  He was typically a babysitter when I needed to go shopping or run an errand.  He was often over for dinner too.  When he noticed I was chopping potatoes or onions a bit too roughly, he'd jokingly (smiling and laughing a bit) ask me if it was "tea time in Tanganyika." 

I've been a tea drinker (and coffee) all of my life.  When I started to grow my herb garden in the city, I became more interested in herbal teas and cures (and nutritional benefits).


Moving the the country on 6 acres of land, gave me so many more opportunities for natural cures.  Most weeds are of plenty here.  Some weeds I now grow in pots, but I do think some will grow better in the ground.  I'm searching out a location where I can simply grow them, away from the garden areas.  I do believe comfrey, and mullein will grow better in the ground, along with calendula.  The same with peppermint and spearmint.  They just don't seem to grow very well in pots, but on the other hand my yarrow and feverfew thrive in pots.

Here are a few different uses for "teas" we make, but used for a natural remedy.  I have a daughter still in high school, and she often comes down with cold type symptoms, and sometimes with painful canker sores. Of course, a salt water gargle is the first way I suggest my kids to cure canker sores.


I have a tea for that. . .
Raspberry leaf - make a tea using 1-2 tsp. dried raspberry leaf and 8 oz. of boiling water.  Allow it to cool and gargle 3-4 times a day with it to heal canker sores.  

Another cure for canker sores - sage tincture, or gargle with sage tea (1-2 tsp. dried sage with 8 oz. of boiling water, then cooled).

You can also make Anise tea or fennel tea for a sore throat, however, I didn't find it very effective.  I even made the Anise tea, kept it refrigerated, and used it in a spray bottle.  It didn't work very well either.


Personal FitnessTip. . .

For those struggling with age and weight.  To keep positive in my struggle, I told myself this - every movement burns calories.  

If you are deciding whether to dump the vegetable peelings in the house trash vs. walk it out to the compost bin, then walk out to the bin.  More calories burned.  I get the highest fitbit steps on laundry day. I have 3 clotheslines outside and every laundry day helps me burn calories and prevents me from a sedentary day.  Clean the bathroom, wash the windows, rake the pine cones, pick up sticks....but remember to take breaks too.  Just thinking positively.  Keep a balance of work and rest.  A mind over matter type thinking.

I know that some folks are physically unable to do the things I do here, but wanted to share how I took a negative thought into a positive thought.

Well, I've been up since 5am.  It'll be a nice 50°F day, but 100% chance of rain.  Again.  I'm sure my garlic and spring flowers (and weeds) are loving it.





Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Rain here too but at least no tornadoes like farther South. I'm with you about keeping moving! I take more breaks than I used to and some tasks aren't as easy as they used to be but I manage and I keep moving. I always believed that if you are sedentary for too long your organs think you've dies and they start shutting down. The old "use it or lose it" theory. Good weather for house cleaning....I should go do some! LOL!
Vicki said…
Kristina...do you realize what a wealth of information is contained within your blog? I have an interest in herbal teas and have spent the last hour going through your back blog posts, taking notes. I can't grow the ingredients, but I can certainly order them online. Thanks for the inspiration.
Sam I Am it was a great time for housework.
Vicki, I love teas, and I feel there is such a good amount of health help within them too. I am ordering another tea I could not get to grow large enough, so my girls will be the "guinea pigs" as well as myself. I am glad you enjoy my blog too.
Luludou said…
Teas are my favorite too, I think I'll have to backread your blog too.
Luludou, my husband now swears by my teas for cures too. And some of my kids.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart