Skip to main content

Homemade Reusable "Cotton Balls"

I'm on a roll with posts this new 2018 year.  I'm also on a roll in getting things done and lists crossed off.  I literally have a list that I never finished from bike week, and one to do after the last craft show.  

Well?  They are both getting crossed off. It was actually fun doing something different than crocheting or knitting.

I have been wanting to make reusable "cotton balls" for years, and just haven't found the time into making them.  I decided to hand sew them, but I'll be getting the sewing machine out soon. I needed my hand sewing skills renewed anyway.

I apply apple cider vinegar toner to my face daily, so we were going through a lot of cotton balls.

If you are not aware, I also have a blog, where I post recycled, up-cycled or scrap type projects/crafts/handiwork.  

The DIY "cotton balls" are eco-friendly, and help keep our homestead on the path to a deeper self-sufficiency.  



How I made my reusable pads:  S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot

I made them using scrap fabric and old flannel twin bed sheets.  The flannel bed sheets had been used on my bed as a child, then passed down to my own kids. The elastic is worn out on the bottom sheet, and I had kept them to use in one way or another.

Now if I can just carve out a day to dig out my sewing machine, I'll be heading into new learning territories.    I love receiving scrap fabric from those who sew, and can't use the scraps (or have too many of them).  The fabric I used to make my cotton pads with was gifted to me.  I am so ever grateful for that.



Comments

Nancy In Boise said…
Cute! So you use flannel on the inside?
Little Homestead, yes, flannel on the other side. If you click on my link in the post, it goes to my scrap blog where you can see more pictures.
Sam I Am...... said…
Those 'cotton pads' are so cute and reusable! Love the fabric!
Sam I Am, I just grabbed the fabric from a box of scraps and I love the pick too. I love my new "cotton balls" too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart