Skip to main content

Blueberries

I was directed to another blog, by a blog follower, which has a different type of blueberry oatmeal muffin recipe.  Thank you by the way.  

I have to admit, I did not follow the recipe entirely.  I switched
out white whole wheat flour for Einkorn all purpose, I used ground organic old fashioned oats (not quick oats), and used the entire 2 whole eggs.  I mean, I could have saved the yolk for another use, but since my layers are fed organic grain (and other goodies), I tossed in the entire egg.  I also used organic whole milk (what I had on hand, as I do not buy skim, almond or other type).  Oh, and I used frozen blueberries and added cinnamon and nutmeg. I baked them in muffin liners vs. using spray oil.  The batter was very runny and it filled the liners to the very top of each.  

The taste? Moist and delicious.   Even though I tossed the blueberries in the flour mixture first, they still went right to the bottom. Even so, my family devoured them.  I caught one daughter moaning as she was eating a muffin.

Next time I make them, I'm adding more cinnamon and nutmeg.  Now I need to chalk out baking time for other recipes to try.


Blueberries.  Speaking of blueberries, we could not find them by the 10# box last year.  Our produce stands (several of them) have closed (strangely).  So, with that said, I have started emailing places where they are grown in MI, and hope to find a location and plan ahead.  It may require a road trip, unless they can tell me if any are trucked to our neck of the woods.  We are unable to grow blueberries here (limestone).  We tried 3 years in a row.


Comments

Unknown said…
Born and raised in SE Mich. There should be a place north of Davison. It’s off M-15 on blueberry lane. They had huge berries on huge bushes. That may be too far for you to drive. Here, in the U.P., everyone has a favorite spot for wild blueberries. Last year was not a good year. The year before was phenomenal! I LOVE to pick blueberries! Free food is the best food!
Debbie
lynda said…
We can get them right from the growers in New Jersey..well worth the drive. I got them once from a store in Lancaster, PA, that advertised the large quantities, but they were pretty much tasteless....
Connie said…
Our local Rotary Club sells frozen berries each year, so I get mine from them. You might what to check into that. It's a great way to help their club and they do a lot of good in the community and around the world. I have to say your muffins look very tasty, wish I was there:)
Connie :)
I'm celebrating 6 years of blogging with a Give-A-Way
come on over and get your name in the hat :)
mamasmercantile said…
Good like with sourcing blueberries. Sometimes a road trip is a great excuse for a trip out and can be combined with picking up other things.
Debbie, thank you. I'll see what I can find out. I am pretty sure we'll be traveling to get them either way.
lynda, we drove to MI last year, specially to a large produce stand. They only sold blueberries from Canada, and they didn't taste good either.
Thank you Connie, I'll have to look, into that too. I'm heading over to your blog now.
mamasmercantile, I'd say motorcycle ride, but we would have any space for the berries, ha ha! I just hope we can find a source.
They certainly look delicious! I always do some tweaking when following a recipe.
Bits of Stitching, Hubby is still raving about the muffins, and asking for more already.
Sam I Am...... said…
Yours sounds lots healthier than the cream cheese ones I made but I loved mine too...my berries did not go to the bottom...it was probably the cream cheese that held them up! LOL!
Sam I Am, the batter is very runny for these, but boy were they good!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart