Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Blueberries

I was directed to another blog, by a blog follower, which has a different type of blueberry oatmeal muffin recipe.  Thank you by the way.  

I have to admit, I did not follow the recipe entirely.  I switched
out white whole wheat flour for Einkorn all purpose, I used ground organic old fashioned oats (not quick oats), and used the entire 2 whole eggs.  I mean, I could have saved the yolk for another use, but since my layers are fed organic grain (and other goodies), I tossed in the entire egg.  I also used organic whole milk (what I had on hand, as I do not buy skim, almond or other type).  Oh, and I used frozen blueberries and added cinnamon and nutmeg. I baked them in muffin liners vs. using spray oil.  The batter was very runny and it filled the liners to the very top of each.  

The taste? Moist and delicious.   Even though I tossed the blueberries in the flour mixture first, they still went right to the bottom. Even so, my family devoured them.  I caught one daughter moaning as she was eating a muffin.

Next time I make them, I'm adding more cinnamon and nutmeg.  Now I need to chalk out baking time for other recipes to try.


Blueberries.  Speaking of blueberries, we could not find them by the 10# box last year.  Our produce stands (several of them) have closed (strangely).  So, with that said, I have started emailing places where they are grown in MI, and hope to find a location and plan ahead.  It may require a road trip, unless they can tell me if any are trucked to our neck of the woods.  We are unable to grow blueberries here (limestone).  We tried 3 years in a row.


12 comments:

Unknown said...

Born and raised in SE Mich. There should be a place north of Davison. It’s off M-15 on blueberry lane. They had huge berries on huge bushes. That may be too far for you to drive. Here, in the U.P., everyone has a favorite spot for wild blueberries. Last year was not a good year. The year before was phenomenal! I LOVE to pick blueberries! Free food is the best food!
Debbie

lynda said...

We can get them right from the growers in New Jersey..well worth the drive. I got them once from a store in Lancaster, PA, that advertised the large quantities, but they were pretty much tasteless....

Connie said...

Our local Rotary Club sells frozen berries each year, so I get mine from them. You might what to check into that. It's a great way to help their club and they do a lot of good in the community and around the world. I have to say your muffins look very tasty, wish I was there:)
Connie :)
I'm celebrating 6 years of blogging with a Give-A-Way
come on over and get your name in the hat :)

mamasmercantile said...

Good like with sourcing blueberries. Sometimes a road trip is a great excuse for a trip out and can be combined with picking up other things.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debbie, thank you. I'll see what I can find out. I am pretty sure we'll be traveling to get them either way.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

lynda, we drove to MI last year, specially to a large produce stand. They only sold blueberries from Canada, and they didn't taste good either.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Connie, I'll have to look, into that too. I'm heading over to your blog now.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I'd say motorcycle ride, but we would have any space for the berries, ha ha! I just hope we can find a source.

Bits of Stitching! said...

They certainly look delicious! I always do some tweaking when following a recipe.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Bits of Stitching, Hubby is still raving about the muffins, and asking for more already.

Sam I Am...... said...

Yours sounds lots healthier than the cream cheese ones I made but I loved mine too...my berries did not go to the bottom...it was probably the cream cheese that held them up! LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, the batter is very runny for these, but boy were they good!