Skip to main content

Ham Soup ~ Yarn Keys

These cold frigid days remind me why I stocked up.  No one needs to be out in these temperatures.  


Our leftovers are dwindling down to a few pieces of pie, ham, BBQ green beans, etc.  I whipped up a crock pot of ham soup, using celery cubes I froze, onion, home canned tomato soup (vs. tomato juice), some frozen garden tomatoes, carrots, dehydrated mushrooms, chili powder, fire powder etc.  It's deliciously spicy and just what will warm me up even today.  

I never had time to try both roll recipes, so I may take some time in the next few weeks to try them.  Maybe today, if I get done with chores early.  

Yesterday I had a good amount of chores and made homemade yogurt.

My main barn door is froze shut, but I can gain access to my ladies and gent via another door.  I am rotating a watering unit daily as it freezes solid at night.  I know they make electric ones, but I prefer this way.  Our electric is the highest in the area.


I finally broke down and purchased some yarn keys.  After trying to find the same color of a yarn (to duplicate a scarf), I decided I better start keeping track of brand/color better.  I have yet to find the yarn I want, but I am now more organized.  This brand is made in America.


You clip your yarn label in the slot, and hook it to your yarn.  Knit Picks has them, called "Yarn Valet Keys."  I will probably need a few more.

Speaking of organized, I have purged a few tops that are too big and I started purging costume jewelry.  One daughter is delighted to gain new clothing and accessories.

I'll be back soon with the punch recipe.  Stay warm!


Comments

Susan said…
Those are very nifty gadgets! I am forever losing my yarn labels. This weather is crying out for soup - I wish I didn't have to go out in it, as it makes all my chores take seven times longer than usual. I feel for the ducks, most of all, because I can only have one water heater and the chickens have it. I briefly contemplated putting the two groups together, but the ducks would trash the water in seconds and then nobody would have it! I am in purge mode, too, and it feels so good!
mamasmercantile said…
I loved the yarn keys, such a great idea.
Susan, I do feel bad for the animals when it's this cold, but since the main door is froze, I don't freeze them out going in to water them either. I am loving my yarn keys.
mamasmercantile, I can't believe I didn't know of these gadgets before now.
Rain said…
The yarn keys are a great idea! :) Oh nothing like purging this time of year...we have too much stuff...our biggest purge will likely come when we move out of this rental though. And I agree, I certainly don't need to be out this time of year! I'm glad for a full freezer!!!
Rain, in 2016 I lost 38 pounds from May to Nov so I have plenty of clothes to pass on to others. The yarn keys are coming in handy with more scarf and hat orders now.
Sam I Am...... said…
It's cold here too...4 degrees when I woke up the other morning. I stock up too...still. You are so right...who wants to go out if you don't have to! The soup sounds good!
Sam I Am, the ham soup was the best I've thrown together yet. I am saving my ham bone for another soup day.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart