Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

On Monday I totally forgot to post a Happy Homemaker post.  Sorry about that.  I had a "paperwork" day with bill paying, filing. I even filed some recipes I had out and used, filed some of the new ones, and cleaned up the "office" area a bit.

Rain arrived just as they said it would.  It will soften up the soil and make weeding the garden much easier.

Pear picking is on hold until the rain stops, but I hope we get that window of opportunity before our hard freeze arrives this weekend.  I'm collecting new pear recipes to try (like I need more).


The hens have gone from molting and laying 1 egg a day, to 4 now.  However, this little one on the left sure looks like a new layer egg, ha ha!  They are not back up to laying the amount we need on daily basis.  I'm also certain the Araucanas (blue/green eggs) are not laying at all.  Last winter they started laying again.  I guess we'll see.  I don't want to be feeding layers organic grain, and getting zero eggs either.  

I've just learned about Propolis tincture.  Bee keepers, have you made this?  And have you used the tincture, and does it have good results?  Just curious, as I would have to buy it (I can't keep bees here due to the amount of crop spraying next door).  I'm told it's great for keeping sickness away and other things.



I have a new treadmill!!! I just have to clean it up a bit more.   It's a used free one.  Not the best quality of brand, but it works.  I already put miles on it.  Hubby tightened the belt, which was slipping, and we'll have to rig up some higher handles.  They are too short for this tall gal.  Hubby should be able to figure something out for me.

The last dig of sweet potatoes weighed in at 12#. I'll have a post later with how I'll make them last all winter/spring.

The Harley is running again.  As far as Hubby can tell, it was a junk battery.  So far the new battery is charging well, so it's not the charging system.  

We tried a new recipe - Millet stuffed Peppers.  I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

Comments

Louise Houghton said…
Oh I love a random-style post, mine tend to be like that all the time! Our chickens, we have 12, are still laying between 6 and 8 each day which is great as it it almost the end of October. I am leaving my sweet spuds until the end of the first week of November and I want to make sure I can store them well, as long as there are enough to store so look forward to your post about dealing with your harvest.
Lady Jane said…
That's a big difference in size with those eggs. I always thought those little eggs were pretty tasty. I had to get rid of my tread mill cause I always hurt my ankle on it. Could never get the right gait so I wouldn't hurt it. I have an elliptical bicycle now and although boring as can be it gives me some exercise in the winter months. I am always looking for pepper recipes looking forward to your new one. hugs, lj
Susan said…
Can't wait to hear about the millet stuffed peppers! I have a lot of millet and I'd love to find some good recipes to use it up. All I know about propolis is that it makes a very good healing cream.
Sam I Am...... said…
A free treadmill? Awesome! I had one and gave it away also but wish I had it back now as the asphalt is hard on my joints...oh well. Good thing your hubby is so handy. Congrats on the sweet potatoes....one of my favorites way before anyone talked of health benefits.
Thanks Louise, I wish I could leave the potatoes in a bit longer, but that would cause a bit of difficulty in tilling for winter prep here.
Thanks Lady Jane, I love the stuffed peppers, and so did the family.
Susan, I never heard of propolis tincture until this year. I can't believe they are allowed to sell at the Farmer's Market either - alcohol. Hm. I may have to get a bottle and read up on it.
Sam I Am, I was tickled pink to find a treadmill free. We could use a break in the finance department.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart