Skip to main content

Putting the Garden to Bed

It's been a long few weeks of tearing out the garden.  For me it's been a tough haul.  Due to unfortunate circumstances, I could not keep up with maintaining it this summer, so the aftermath was this:


 There are green pepper plants in that mess. (Before)



Same area (in progress)


My sad looking pea fence (before).

Done!  Still moving on through the garden.





The front of that area is where my potatoes were planted (before).

 Done!  Again...still moving on through the garden.

 The very last of the potatoes were dug up.

Larger Tomato patch all done and ready for winter.  I just have to get my pie pan and metal pole put away for next year.

Rough, tough, and difficult to totally remove before winter.  I'd like to post some pristine looking photos, but this is reality.  I can't do everything, nor can my family.  However, I am sticking to it.



"Biker Sally" is a bit slumped over after a somewhat good garden season.  She is buried in foxtail and ragweed, but with daily diligence, taking rest days, and hard work, she will be dug out and put to bed.

It is taking me a lot longer than previous years.  Achy muscles are now on rest-mode.  After noon today that is.  Rain is arriving. 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Kristina, thank you for this post because if nothing else, it makes me feel better about the job my clean-up in the garden and getting it all ready for bed has been. I had lots of green, healthy growth from some kind of grain seed that was left in the mulch I used. It took hold and tried to take over everything before I could stay ahead of it.

Considering your unforeseen health issues this summer, it's no wonder your garden was a struggle. Next year will be a breeze for you after this one. Kudos to you for persevering on the clean-up. I know it can't be easy, but whatever you can get done now will make it all easier next spring. Hang in there, girl!
mamasmercantile said…
You have done so well, such hard work but will be worth it in the end.
Susan said…
The only good thing that can be said about our gardens this fall is that the comparison between the before and after is stupendous! Mine is right there with yours, only smaller. Looks like you made a lot of headway though.
Yarrow said…
I completely understand how a garden can get out of control. Instead of going for a smaller plot, I now have 5acres and have to be more clever than I have been in the past. I'm looking at Permaculture and a no dig system as I'm just not as fit as I was ;)
Mama Pea, I was contemplating whether to show this mess of a garden or not. I am making headway though. It's just slow going.
Thanks Susan, I am pretty caught up with flower beds and the herb garden, so it's full throttle with the big garden now. I sort of needed the rain again anyway, as the ground was getting very dry and difficult to weed yesterday.
Yarrow, I didn't even plant a few veggies this year too. I just hope I can get it ready before the snow flies.
Sam I Am...... said…
That is a lot of hard backbreaking work you did! This winter you will be so glad you did it and especially next Spring! Good job!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart