Skip to main content

Barn Siding ~ Getting our Legumes ~ Red lentil burgers ~ Beet Hummus

Sorry if this is a boring post about beans, but I have a few new recipes to share - from "pile to file" keepers.  I've found my voice this month, so watch out for long posts.  I think I have blog-i-tis this October.  I can't blame the weather either.  It's been hot out again.

The only other news, is that while I was sitting on the porch with leg up sipping my hot herbal tea yesterday, a car hit a deer just yards from our north drive.  The driver pulled over (a young girl), and the deer flopped around on the road for a few seconds, then got up and ran off.  The same area a car hit one early morning not long ago.  There is a corn field adjacent and north of our property.  

 Before


We also got some barn siding removed last night.  We are tired folks.  Simply tired.

We've been eating more beans than meat lately.  It helps the budget as well as our health.  These meals were over a period of time.
I soaked a bag of organic black beans for all sorts of meals/snacks.  We love it on a burrito for any meal - add scrambled eggs, any leftover rice/veggie mix, jalapenos or cowboy candy, or yellow squash relish (or radish relish)...more total goodness.  

I'll have a post regarding the yellow squash relish soon. 

(these are broiled)

I have also made red lentil burgers for the first time.
  I was told about them, but never received the recipe, so I went searching online.  Click "here" for the recipe.  I had a handful of garden carrots at the time.   The recipe also has a yogurt sauce you can make to top these (I am able to use homemade yogurt), but we opted to top with home canned goods.  Also, then next time I make these, I'll add some greens to them.


Topped with home canned yellow squash relish.  Recipe is located online with Taste of Home.


Topped with home canned Cowboy Candy.  Recipe is very available online.

The only thing I did different with the Cumin-Spiced Red Lentil Burger recipe, was the bread crumbs.  I used 1/4 cup ground up homemade herbed croutons, and 1/2 cup of ground oats vs. 3/4 cup of bread crumbs.  I will use all oats next time too.  The garlic gives it good flavor.  Oh, I used 3 cloves of garlic too.

Speaking of red lentils - I have a recipe for red lentil hummus too.  Somewhere.  I need to make that again soon.

And speaking of hummus. . .


I made a new hummus recipe - Beet Hummus.   You can locate the recipe at Rodale's OrganicLife online.  I simply thawed my frozen (cooked) garden beets and tossed them into the food processor with all the ingredients.  

Results?  Very good!  I like that it uses more of what I grow, way less Tahini (expensive) and way less oil. I love the color, and it's now on my "potluck" meal idea list.  This may be an appetizer for this year's Thanksgiving. The recipe suggests eating it with sweet potato chips.  I may even make my own when I dig up my sweet potatoes.

I also made a batch of taco joe dip.  It's meat-less, and cheese-less, provides more black and kidney beans in our diet, stretches the food as well.  Vegetarian daughter eats it as a meal.  I however, am running low on home canned crushed tomatoes.  Oh, for that recipe, I use home canned crushed tomatoes (not stewed), my own homemade taco dry mix, and the corn we freeze.  And we like to add jalapenos to it too.

I had a few last jars of green tomato salsa, so I added black beans and corn for a lunch or snack, or to top eggs with. 

On the menu this week?  Sweet potato vegetarian chili.  Recipe is also online with Real Simple (Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili).  It's one of our favorites to use home grown sweet potatoes in, and it calls for kidney and black beans.


Comments

mamasmercantile said…
My goodness I can't keep up with you, you are an inspiration.
Nancy In Boise said…
Are you vegetarians? Just wondering. I make spicy black bean cakes, yummy!
mamasmercantile, I love it when a new recipe is a winner, but I need to stop collecting so many, ha ha!
Little Homestead, we are not all vegetarians, but I love to cook with any type of beans. I have your recipe in my "try-it" pile, and will be tasting it soon. We have one vegetarian living here, so I do try meatless meals too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart