Skip to main content

Spider Proofing ~ Fall Garden Harvest ~ Black Dakota Popcorn

I may have "hit" the garden a little too hard yesterday.  I woke up 1 hour later than normal, and woke up moanin' and a groanin'.
 
The waterproof/bug proof storage bags arrived.  These are not vacuum seal  type bags (never had good luck with them in the past). I am now washing every bed sheet, pillow case and blanket (that is stored in the utility room drawers). 


The weather was perfect to dry it outside early (before the rain) and immediately fold and seal into bags - spider proofing it. Oh, I'm not done with this chore either.  I filled all 3 clotheslines, and have more to wash up and store yet.

I'm tackling more projects, and continue to deep clean the kitchen.  I'm making up for taking the weekend off.

Small projects:
~ started a Christmas tree ornament project, and one is completely finished.  More to make later.  I will share this once we have our family gathering.


~bought a new string of Christmas lights for my wine bottle light.  The lights needed replaced two years ago, and I finally go that done.

Large projects:
~started planting the last variety of garlic

~I have started pulling dead plants from the garden.  Rain arrived, and so I had to stop early.




(first year to have a rodent eating on the beets)

 ~I have brought in the last of the beets.  I have to decide if I want to freeze them, or can them. Hm. 



~I brought a bowl of green peppers and hot peppers.




~I brought in 7 more pie pumpkins (there are more out there).




~ I started pulling the popcorn.  There is more to pull, but isn't dry enough yet.


Comments

Henny Penny said…
That's a lot to bring in from the garden. The popcorn is so pretty! I am in that deep cleaning mood too, and need to keep at it before my mood changes. :) I love to see wash hanging on the clothesline.
mamasmercantile said…
Wow, what a wonderful harvest. I must admit to been a tad envious but hopefully we will have a garden by this time next year.
Thanks Henny Penny. I use my clothesline year round when I can. Even in winter. We love the popcorn, and this is the 3rd year to grow it. One year we flooded out, but got 3 tiny ears to save to plant the next year.
mamasmercantile, we started out very small with the garden our first year. I used to have 3 more adult kids living at home, so I increased the size, and I deliver food to my 85 year old Dad. It's a fairly good size garden, but lots of work to preserve. I'm canning today and possibly tomorrow, then doing some freezing and then back to the garden.
Lady Jane said…
I haven't hit my cleaning mode yet but you are shaming me into it, lol. Hugs, LJ
Lady Jane, I'm a little early for the season, but I'm itching to get my kitchen back, then I can start back on the rest of the house, ha ha!
Sam I Am...... said…
Wow! Rewards of beautiful produce for all your hard work! I hope your family appreciates it! Fresh produce like that is a true gift!
RB said…
You've been very busy. Between work, washing my uniform and then going back to work again, I've been trying to rest my shoulders and arms as much as I can because I'm pretty convinced what I'm dealing with is bursitis, and rest and ice is the best thing for that.
Remember you're still recovering, and stop to smell the posies often.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, thank you for that reminder.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart