Skip to main content

Homemade Sausage ~ Biscuits and Gravy Oh My!

I woke up Monday to a warm 63°F and later a high of 87°.  And guess what?  


We started the "resurrection" of the flower beds/rose bed/herb garden on Sunday (no chance in convincing Hubby to break out the chainsaw for wood chores in the heat either), and now we are to get 4 days of possible rain.  I guess the Good Lord thought I needed softer soil to rip those weeds out, ha ha!  

Clean up before the end of the day.  But oh, so much more to weed (like about 60-70 feet of flower/herb beds).

Monday, we labored (again).  Hubby mowed some more, we weeded, and prepped the garlic bed.  Oh that was a joy - windy as heck, and try putting plastic down in the wind.  It took us about 1 1/2 hours or more to pull up old plastic, till, and put the new plastic down.  Now it will sit for a week or so to kill off more weeds/grass before I fall plant.

Laundry was put out.  Dried in seconds with the wind, heat and sun we had.

Pie pumpkins were picked and brought inside.  There are more, and more baby ones just starting.


A few blackberries were enjoyed.


Now about the homemade sausage.... 

In our parts of the world, we can buy "natural" sausage in patties, but it's not organic/non-gmo.  I've been buying organic pork, and making it myself.

It's the next best thing to raising my own pigs, butchering and making the sausage myself (goals). Or some day having a neighbor, like-minded, to barter with some day. 

That's the tickler about homesteading - it's a simple way of living, but so many people confuse "simple" with "easy."

To make the homemade sausage:


I add these ingredients to 2 lbs. of organic/non-gmo ground pork (you could use turkey if you want to cut the fat). 

1 Tbsp. rubbed sage*
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground dried thyme*
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. ground allspice

*I grow the herbs in my herb garden, dry them and store them.  I also make my own garlic powder from garlic I grow. To make "rubbed" sage, simply grind up dry leaves into a powder.  I use a small coffee mill to grind mine.

Mix all ingredients (I used my food processor), then store the meat mixture in the refrigerator over night to  enhance flavors.


Shape into 2 1/2 inch patties, or use as ground sausage depending on the recipe you want to use it in or eat by itself.  Cook patties in large skillet over medium heat until thoroughly cooked. 

Yield:  about 20 patties

The patties are great as a side, or even better as an egg/sausage sandwich with homemade buns or English muffins.

I used half the meat mixture for patties, and the other half I cooked up as "ground" sausage for homemade biscuits and gravy (one of Hubby's favorite breakfast meals).



Homemade biscuits were rolled and baked. 

(breakfast on the porch in pajamas)

Yum!  I sliced up some freshly dug, garden potatoes and fried those to accompany the meal, and added some scrambled, farm fresh organic eggs.  Aside from having to buy milk (missing our goat milk these days) and meat for this recipe, it's a true homesteader's breakfast.

It stormed last night, but only for a few hours.  We needed the rain too.  I love listening to the pitter-patter of rain.

Comments

Susan said…
Those are some beautiful biscuits! It takes real talent to get light, fluffy biscuits, let me tell you. I had to laugh - you are so right: simple lifestyle does NOT mean easy lifestyle! Those flower/herb beds are looking nice, speaking of hard work...
Thank you Susan. Hubby was so proud of himself, because he removed all the tall weeds and it does look better despite foxtail and grass in the gardens yet. Thank you on the biscuit compliment too.
Rain said…
Susan is right...I have zero biscuit talent, so congrats Kristina :) Your breakfast looks SOOO GOOD...and on the porch in pajamas makes it even better! I did some work in the garden today, getting ready for my first winter garden. I'm jealous of your pumpkins!!! :)
Rain, I didn't get any pie pumpkins last year. We planted them in the popcorn and we got blossoms, but no pumpkins. This year we did fairly well. Hubby wants more planted for decorating with next year (he never wants to decorate).
Nancy In Boise said…
Weeding that area looks great! Great idea with sausage. Cute pumpkins!
Little Homestead, thanks! Hubby and one daughter have already tried to steal my pumpkins to decorate with, ha ha. I had to break the news to them, they were "pie" pumpkins. I guess I need to plant jack o'lantern pumpkins next year for them.
Sandra said…
We've already started chopping wood in preparation for the winter. It's still pretty hot here in Texas, but we are trying to get on the ball and not leave it to the last minute like we did last year.

Those biscuits, gravy and sausage look to die for, I could go for one right now.

Sandra, our weather is still good for splitting wood, but I can't do it until Hubby has a day off. He full-time job takes a lot of his time unfortunately. If we do the job with 3 of us, it goes very quickly, and we'll have it done in no time.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart