Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Goals ~ Chickens ~ Doctor Update

While I had 4 days to rest up even more, I decided to get out my mother's sewing machine and learn how to chance the thread.  I have used it many times for sewing goat coats for the new born kids, but used the same thread.  I know, I know.

I have sewing project on my mind.  One that will save us money, and one that will possibly be an item to sell.  Etsy just may see me soon.  We'll see.

On top of that, there are still 3 more possibilities of handicraft sales - one Hubby and I both agree on, the other two are good ideas too.


Writing has resumed, and I'm already looking for places to get published. I have several rough drafts of articles and am now working on more short stories.

My ladies (chickens) are still molting.  We've had to resort to buying a dozen (sigh) eggs.  I miss my frittatas with greens (my iron rich foods), but I know I'll be making them soon again.

As for the current doctor, I ditched him.  He needs to retire.  He was rude and condescending and once again ignored my questions.  I had to change a test (back brakes went out on my car) and when I called to advise him, he yelled at me.  I decided that I was finally done.  If I need anything prior to seeing the new doctor, I can always go to Urgent care or ER.  I don't see that being needed though.  I am feeling much better and the bites are slowly healing.  I have my herbal teas too. And salves. Last night Hubby was impressed with the healing progress of the larger bite as well.

Sorry for no photos.  We had our family get together yesterday, and it was pretty nice considering my leg was hurting.  I felt bad for not bringing sweet potato salad, but I'll bring it the next gathering.

Hubby worked midnight again last night.  We crawled into bed to watch movies and I dug out crochet work.  A few minutes later I said, "let's take a nap."  It was 7pm.  We woke up at 10pm, in time for him to go to work, and I went back to bed, getting 13 hours of sleep.  I guess I needed it.

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Oh, you teasing person, you! You keep hinting about these new ideas you have for putting your talented fingers to work, but don't give us more information. Spill the beans soon!

If you have any trouble re-threading your sewing machine, you can probably find a diagram showing how to do so on the Internet. Good luck!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I was thinking the same thing about using tutorials online for the sewing machine. As for the new possibilities, it all depends on price of supplies and time of course. But, we are researching and hope to have some help with tutorials as well as books I may already have (one I know of).

Rain said...

I'm interested in your new ideas too! I haven't sewn in ages, but it's something I want to start again this winter. It's nice to make your own things, I just need to find a good fabric supplier, not easy in this area! I know there are online places, but I'm the touchy feely type :) I'm glad you're feeling better...sucks that you had to buy eggs!

Some doctors are so self-righteous, I do not like most of them. Mine is just a script-filler basically. He half-heartedly says "do you need an exam"...while reading his notes, and usually I just say "no I'm fine" and I even wonder if he hears me, he writes my prescription refill and I leave.

Lady Jane said...

I changed my colon Dr for a new Dr and it was the best decision I ever made. Good luck. hugs, LJ

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I explained what was going on to my older sister, and she was shocked. She said it sounded like he was ordering all the tests and bloodwork to make money off me. I know a few were needed, but not 100 of them.

As for the sewing projects, I have always known how to sew, but it's a new machine. I've only made the goat coats using it so far.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Lady Jane! I feel good about changing doctors too.