Skip to main content

First day of School ~ Ketchup/dirty apron day ~ Quinoa

First off today, it's the first day of school and this Mom didn't wake up until 9am.  I feel so awful.  I had a busy day yesterday, but Grad Daughter was up and took my traditional bus leaving the house photos.  Her bus picks up at 7:04am this year, and normally I am up.

I woke up to an almost empty coffee pot and then realized I missed her getting on the bus.  I feel terrible.  Oye.  Oh so terrible.  At least Hubby already had coffee made, and I already had breakfast made.  That should have helped ease her morning.

Yesterday, my day started with chopping up and coring 10-11 pounds of tomatoes.  Our tomato year is poor this year. they are much smaller and we have very little compared to last year.


Even so, I canned this season's first batch of homemade ketchup.  The house smelled wonderful.  It's an all day job when you reduce anything tomato, so I had some handiwork on hand to babysit the simmering pot.


It's a good apron day when you have to wash it right after you are done in the kitchen.   I had tomato splatters from pouring it into the sauce maker.

While tomatoes simmered for ketchup, I sliced up a bowl of grape tomatoes and pear heirloom tomatoes.  I mixed in some chickpeas, fresh herb garden parsley, garlic, lemon juice and feta (I didn't have lime juice), and wa-la!  I added some cooked and cooled quinoa and some crumbled feta cheese.  Yum!  I delicious cold salad for any time of the day.  I think it could use a bit of cumin the next time I make it.  Yum.  My picky vegetarian loved it.

Comments

Susan said…
Well, I am sure your daughter understood that you must have needed that sleep-in! I had the same thing for lunch as you had for dinner. I love this time of year, where making grain salads is so easy and delicious.
Susan, I hope she understands. It's not normal for me to sleep in that late. I usually wake up with Hubby's alarm for work. Yes, the salads are so good.
Nancy In Boise said…
Your college buses, that is so cool
Little Homestead, it's a bus for 10th grade (high school). We live out in the boonies, but not far from the school either.
Mama Pea said…
I'm sure your daughter understood since you've been feeling so under-the-weather lately. Would have been a cause for you to feel bad if she were much younger, but first day getting on the school bus isn't a new thing for her. And your other daughter did a fine job of capturing the event with the picture.

It's been years and years since I've had enough of a tomato crop to make ketchup and my husband still misses it. :o(
Leigh said…
You must have been tired! I often wish I could sleep in but my goats would fire me for sure. Your ketchup looks lovely. I've been working on pizza sauce, cooking it down in my crock pot!
Mama Pea, I am so thrilled to get some canned. If we get more, I will freeze some and hopefully get sauce made.
Leigh, thankfully, I have a good supply of last year's pizza sauce. I hope to get more tomatoes though. I do miss our dairy goats. Some day I may get one or two again.
Sam I Am...... said…
You can only so so much. I'm sure you will get it tomorrow and all will be fine. The ketchup sounds good and so does the salad.
Thanks Sam I Am. The salad was very good.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart