Skip to main content

Random Tidbits ~ Chive Blossoms


 


What's on the breakfast plate?  An asparagus/dandelion/chive blossom frittata.  I just made it up as I cooked.  I would have had nettle, but it was raining at the time.




Did you know you can eat them? Chive blossoms?  They are a bit stronger than chives themselves.  Add them to mashed potatoes, saute your asparagus with them, or toss them into sauces.  You can also make chive oil using the blossoms.  A year ago I made infused oil using the chives themselves.

What's on the dinner plate?



Honey Jalapeno (using last year's hot peppers I had in the freezer) Chicken topped with cabbage, carrots, corn and black beans (with cumin).  


No need to top with salsa, the chicken is pretty spicy from the marinade.  Yum.  Sorry for the blurry photo.  I was in a hurry to eat my dinner, ha ha!  We ended up opening some zucchini salsa for them anyway.

It has felt strange to have only two dogs to take out now.  I keep wanting to call for Jesse.  I'll have to adjust meal making again.  We only have one vegetarian here now. 

Speaking of Vet-Tech Daughter it reminded me of my car she still has.  One of the guys at the condo is repairing her car, however, the tool to remove the tire rim is missing.  There is another delay now.  The tire must come off to put in the brake line.   

Oldest Daughter, trying to be funny, texted me a photo of my car saying it was "missing me."  Ha ha!  Yeah, I was missing it too.   It's about time to get those motorcycle lessons I want.  Hubby may want to start me out on a dirt bike first.


Part of our 6 acres remains a pasture right now.  Meaning the grass is tall.  The mower broke down a few days back, and Hubby has been working double shifts.  He fixed it last night so the mowing has resumed.

The asparagus is still providing. It's been the best harvest yet.  The recent rain is bringing up more too.  Yum.  Looks like I'll be roasting some with rosemary for tonight's dinner. 

I didn't workout yesterday.  Sigh.  My back was a-hurtin'.  Had to laugh because Hubby's knee was painin' him.  All from our dancing last Sunday.  Oh we had fun, but we paid for it at our age.  We doctored up our pain (my comfrey poultices), and today it's back to a full blown work out.  I can tell you though.  Since I started back on the speed bag?  I can whip my eggs at the speed of light now.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
More yummy food when I'm hungry! LOL! Good for you with your strong arms! My daughter got one for Christmas one year and we hung it in the barn for her to workout. I could use it now although lifting and toting the groceries and salt bags and dogfood keeps me pretty strong! LOL!
Sam I Am, you are right about lifting pet food. Ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart