Skip to main content

What's Cookin'? ~ Tips ~ New Recipe


Tip 1:  I found another way to use leftover (when there is any) whiskey butterscotch sauce.  Bake a cinnamon/brown sugar coffee cake, and drizzle some on 10 minutes before it comes out of the oven.


I baked the coffee cake, but no sauce to be found (sad face). 

Tip 2:  I opened a jar of home canned hot sauce to make jalapeno poppers, but need to use the rest up before I forget I opened it.  I found that adding home canned hot sauce to greens is a wonderful way to flavor them up.  I used them on spinach recently.



We are short on eggs.  The colder weather has slowed production down, but no need to panic (I told myself).  I had a good supply of ingredients to make a crock pot of steel cut oats (with apples, walnuts and raisins).




Potato Rosemary Crusted Cod. A newly tried recipe from a book I received (which I am now passing on to another blessed soul).  Mmmm!  Basically, you peel and grate a potato, mix in some finely chopped dried rosemary, toss in some salt and pepper, and pat the mixture onto the fish (squeeze the water from the grated potato first).  Then fry it in hot oil 3 minutes each side.  I don't fry fish (other than perch and bluegill), but it was good.    This was Hubby's packed lunch.  He's been working quite a bit of overtime, and I wanted to make sure he had a healthy lunch.  Thankfully, I had cod in my freezer. Not sure I'll make it again.  I had trouble keeping the potatoes attached to the fish.  Got any tips for that?



My jar of dry taco mix was low, so I made a small batch with the last of my chili powder.  I still have a few more pounds of organic ground beef, so tacos were made one night.
Applesauce-banana muffins. My supply of home canned applesauce has been a blessing this winter. As well as having more homemade vanilla on hand. Although I had steel cut oats on hand, muffins are always an easy "to-go" breakfast for the kids.  They tend to be in a hurry, and muffins are easy to grab, tote along and eat while waiting for the bus (or pack in a lunch).

 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Before you mentioned it, that was my question: How do you get the mashed potatoes to stick to the fish? Hmmmm, must be some secret there that one needs to know! ;o) You are a wonder in all the new recipes you try. I always think I'm gonna do that more often, but then end up making the same old, same old. Lazy? Might have to think about that.
Sam I Am...... said…
You have been busy! I need to make /refresh my pantry supplies too. This week I was making cleaning supplies; laundry detergent, glass cleaner and floor cleaner and I even used them to clean! LOL! Everything looks delicious and I have been wanting to make a coffee cake too...and the muffins are a great idea.....yummo!
Mama Pea, I tend to go with my regular recipes too. I think an egg wash would help the potatoes stick, but I'm not sure.
Sam I Am, I love blueberry-strawberry muffins, but the family loves the strawberry ones. They are so moist and delicious.
RB said…
This all sounds good. I've got no idea how to keep potato crust on fish. Did you use egg wash before applying the potato? Also, sometimes letting it sit for 30 minutes after applying the crust and before frying it sometimes helps.
Prayers everyone has a great weekend planned, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, thanks for those tips. The recipe did not call for an egg wash, but I think that would help.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart