Skip to main content

Pie Pumpkin Puree

I purchased 8 pie pumpkins so far, and roasted them all for puree.  The first 6  weighed in about 15.71 lbs. 
I typically cut them and clean them all, and roast them all in one day.  This time I roasted two a day, until I was done.  I have a dog that likes to steal food, so I made sure I didn't have a lot going on.  Funny how all the dogs don't touch the tomatoes.  Anyway...


I used parchment paper this year.  I usually add water and cover, but not this year.  It works pretty well too.  Parchment paper isn't cheap, so I buy it at our dollar store for $1 a box.  It gets me through the holiday baking season on a dime as well.



Tip of the day for you all:  I use my melon baller to get every little bit of pumpkin off the skins (after roasting) without getting the skins.  It works better than a spoon.



The first 6 pie pumpkins gave me about 9 pints of pumpkin puree.  The last two will be soon be roasted.  

Sunday this week was our day "off."  Hubby and I took off and joined up with 5 other bikers.   We all rode to two different towns together, and both rides basically along a river.  One trip to a historical town for a meal, and one to a new Harley store.  I was the only woman in the group, but they didn't seem to mind it.  Boy are they all funny too.  We had a great time, and they are already making plans for a ride if the weather is still nice later.  Even the neighbor to one of the guys came out to film us all taking off for our ride. Gosh, it will be tough this winter.  It really is our "therapy" in life.

Today, it's back to "reality."  I have lots of work to get done this week.  Lots of work.  A frost is predicted for Monday night, so I must get my garden tended to.  First, canning resumes.  I hope I can get it all done.  I know I have a few more cauliflower to cut and process, my hot and cold peppers all need picked and pulled, and then I can finally move out to pull my pinto beans.  Time is a tickin' and here I sit procrastinating. I do miss having help.  

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
You'll have to find a different therapy for winter....snowmobiling? When I roast pumpkins I just let them cool and peel the skin off and then cut it into chunks before I put it in the food processor. It peels easily after roasting...likety split!
RB said…
I bet your house smelled wonderful while the pumpkins were baking. I remember as a child, our dad making roasted acorn squash. He'd cut it in half, get the seeds out, and then would fill the hole with brown sugar and butter, and boy, was it ever good.
I know a long time ago, many wouldn't eat tomatoes cause they were part of the nightshade family and were considered poisonous. I know there are many things pigs won't eat, green peppers and cucumbers are the ones I remember. I can't remember if they eat tomatoes or not.
Hope everyone's having a wonderful week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I Am, I roast them first too. Yum!
RB, my house smelled so good!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart