Skip to main content

Bug Catcher ~ Tidbits

We have had an ample amount of tomatoes in the house lately, and the gnats are horrible.  One daughter found this idea on the internet and it works.  Simply put fruit in the jar and add a piece of paper.  They can get in, but not back out.  I added a drop of dawn soap down the center to kill them.  Today the jar has twice as many in it.  Best thing that has worked so far.  We even caught a fly in it.


Well, another birthday has passed here on Rooster's Crow Farm.  Our Vet-Tech Daughter turned 20 yesterday.  I wasn't allowed to take photographs (she just doesn't like that).  She had to work all day and return today.  We made homemade pizzas with the last of the picked green bell peppers (we may get more after this recent rain), and other organic toppings.  She loved it.  Of course we popped open a jar of homemade pizza sauce too. 

I haven't pulled all of the cauliflower plants just yet.  The recent rain, and hot days have given us a few more nice heads.  I made a dish with spinach, a few eggs, a bit of cheese, garlic, and chicken.  Delicious!  I left the chicken out until the end, so I could divide it out for vegetarians first.  What a hit!  I just googled cauliflower and chicken dish and found one.  The small bit of garlic with the cauliflower flavor was amazing.  I steamed broccoli for the side dish.  Yum.

Some of the tomato plants are getting pulled today.  I let the chickens out to attack them for me, giving me no more excuses to leave them in any longer.  However, they left me some tomatoes.  

Hubby has been working way too much overtime.  I have been completely forgetting my "nurse" responsibilities.  Like taking his blood pressure when he gets home.  



 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
I have the same homemade contraption for the fruit flies except I put an inch of vinegar in the bottom of the jar. Works like a charm. But, boy, have those little buggers ever held on for a long time this year. Gone, gone, be gone already, I say!
Mama Pea, bugs are horrible this year. I have a little black bug the size of a lady bug, with white spots, that's attacking my fall green beans. We are still getting some beans, but I have to fight for them. My chickens need to speed up bug control, ha ha!
Kim said…
I always use some fresh garlic when I steam or roast cauliflower. And then I add some cheese.

You just may need to get some Guineas they are great on the bug population. And great watch "dogs"!
Kim, I have wanted guineas for years, but Hubby says no. Maybe someday he'll let me get a couple of them.
Lady Jane said…
This is a great idea!!! Thanks. LJ
RB said…
Wow! That bug catcher really works. Going to have to try that here. Is there a space at the bottom of the jar...and what kind of fruit did you put there?
Happy Birthday to daughter.
Surprised hubby is working overtime after having a heart attack. I hope he's being careful.
Have a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, we first put a splice of orange in it. The next time I tried it with a rotten tomato.
LJ, one of my kids found the idea on the internet. Works great too.
Linda said…
I thought it was just me with all the fruit flies. I put a wide bowl/dish with vinegar and a drop of Dawn. It worked so well fruit flies were a quarter inch thick! And, the occasional fly found its way in. Then, I kept discovering new sources the fruit flies were attacking. Finally, I think they are all gone. I put garbage in plastic store bags and took it out about six times a day. That worked to help cut down on their sources of food and breeding.
pparsimony
Linda, I had to take my scraps out to the compost almost immediately. The gnats were terrible this year.
Sam I Am...... said…
I have them in the house too and I'm not even canning! I've never had them like this so I am going to try your method! Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart