Skip to main content

Blueberry Bourbon Barbecue Sauce

I've been cooking with booze (again).  This time it's with blueberries.  When Hubby whisked me off to Kentucky, we visited a restaurant that had the best steaks.  They also served salmon with blueberry bourbon barbecue sauce.  It was delicious.  

I had to try making it myself.  


I thought it would be best to measure all my ingredients prior to starting.  Jalapenos were from my garden, and boy are they hot this year.


First batch went right over some home raised chicken I roasted.  This would be wonderful on pork and fish too.

This recipe comes from Eating Well, but their site has way too many advertisements on it.  I found the same recipe on Food.com - Blueberry Bourbon Barbecue Sauce.  I followed the recipe exactly, but was worried my hot peppers would be to hot for this.

How was it? 


Good.  Not spectacular nor amazing, but just good.  The blueberries overpowered the heat, so there was no balance in sweet and heat.  I was surprised, considering how hot our jalapenos are this year.  I may make it one more time, adding more jalapenos.  Not sure.  I put a small amount in the freezer as well, to try over fish later.

It freezes for up to 3 months.  

Note:  That other dish is a spaghetti squash dish we make from allrecipes, using olives, tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil and feta cheese.  We enjoyed our first spaghetti squash this year.  I should have added some broccoli too.  We are getting a lot of it now.

Comments

Susan said…
It all sounds wonderful!
RB said…
Sounds like it would be good on pork - ribs, chops and such too.
I read somewhere that when it's particularly hot and dry, peppers would be hotter and tomatoes would taste more robust too, and that neither should be harvested within three days after a rain, but sometimes weather doesn't cooperate with harvesting days.
Been hot and dry here for several days. Expecting rain to start Thursday and go through the weekend. We'll see won't we.
Hope everyone's having a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Mama Pea said…
Gotta admit I wouldn't have thought of putting blueberries, whiskey and jalapenos together for a sauce. But then, I'm just not as adventuresome a cook as you are! Your family definitely benefits from your good cooking, I've got to say that.
Susan, I put one container in the freezer to try on fish later. Yum.
RB, we have not had a break in the rain until today (Wed). It rained every day since it started raining here. I'm heading out to check the garden status today. The sauce would be excellent on pork.
Mama Pea, I had rainy days here to give me time to try a few new recipes, ha ha! I should have been cleaning the bathroom, but tried some new recipes instead.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart