Skip to main content

Mullein Tincture

I finally made it to the store to get vodka to make a mullein tincture.


I used fresh mullein.  I've read that you do not want to cut more than 40% of your plant, but I am typically careful not to over harvest mine. 


I have mullein growing in a pot.  It's invasive, so I don't put it in the herb garden directly.  The leaves are fuzzy and soft. 

My tincture will we ready in 6 weeks.  I did a small batch with this to add to my medicine cupboard. Now, I have read that it will last up to 2 years if kept in the refrigerator, and other sources stated 7-10 years.  I'm pretty sure it won't be in my cupboard for 7 years.  Someone typically gets a sinus infection around here, a cough, or a cold, or a sore throat.  My mullein does not have flowers yet, but you can make a tincture with the flowers too.  I plan to make the next one with mullein flowers and elderberry flowers.

I'm quite impressed how my tea infusion of elderberry flowers and mullein helped me cure my own sinus infection.  I knew that thyme tea will break up mucus, and that nettle was helpful with allergies, but I'm wondering if mullein is better for allergies now.  

I'll keep experimenting, and researching, and reading books.  There are answers out there.  I just have to find them all.   Then I have to remember them all.  I read that this tincture can be used for migraines too.     

Comments

Mama Pea said…
In times gone by, you would have been the esteemed witch doctor everyone went to for healing!
Sam I Am...... said…
Did you see my post where I showed a picture of my "interesting" plant/weed in my yard. I didn't cut it and it is over 7 feet tall....it is mullein and the leaves are huge! It has a 2 foot stem of flowers and side flowers now too. I only have one plant that I know of but it could be more if it flowers? I heard the leaves are good for dyeing too.
Mama Pea, Hubby said the same thing, ha ha!
Sam I Am it will spread. The flowers and the leaves are useful. I am waiting on mine to flower so I can utilize the flowers.
RB said…
This is all very good to know. I wonder where I'd get mullein around here.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, it does not grow wild on our property, but you can purchase seeds online from Horizon seeds (medicinal herbs).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart