Skip to main content

Meet Pearl

We picked the most humid day for this project, but one 16 year-old was willing to help.  Pearl is not fancy, but we didn't dress her for a contest.  Just some thrift store clothing, one of our old aprons (full body, but had to fold it over for a waist apron), an old hat of ours, some scrap material for the head, straw to stuff her, and a few sharpies to give her a face.
Oh, and recycled chicken twine to keep her innards inside.


It will be interesting to see what the dogs do now.  She's leaning just a bit, so I need my strong Hubby to put her in the ground a bit more secure.

It was a fun project and it gave one kiddo something fun to do.  People driving by will have something fun to see as well.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Hi, Pearl! I LOVE scarecrows in the garden but never take the time to put one up. Maybe this is the year for me to do it!
hoosier girl said…
Cute! I love scarecrows :)
Vicki said…
Pearl is wonderful! The hat and apron are just the right touch. Well done. :)
Mama Pea, it was fun for a change. Even Hubby liked her, but wanted to dress her up even more - add gloves, a purse and a tag hanging on her hat to call her "Minnie Pearl" ha ha ha!
hoosier girl, we had one a few years back and hadn't put one back up. I thought it was time.
Vicki, I have a stack of old aprons, just waiting for the next scarecrow.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart