Skip to main content

Garden Goodies ~ Garage Purge

I planted a few new varieties of radishes this year.  I still planted Cherry Belle for canning radish relish.  It is delicious on burgers or what not.  I will be canning it in the smallest jars this year.  We can't seem to eat it up when we open the half-pint jars I canned it in.  Either that, or I need to be more creative.  Maybe try mixing some into peas?  Or green beans?  I guess well see when we get them on the plants soon.

These are French Breakfast Radishes.  I purchased non-gmo/organic seeds from High Mowing for these.  Hubby and I will be tasting the two that I was able to pick.  Due to the second frost we had, we planted later than usual.

Has anyone planted the black radishes?  I have been reading up on them and I find them intriguing.


The garden, after this last rain, was too wet to work in.  That was a total shock.  Today it should be looking pretty nice.  I noticed one two yellow squash seeds popped up (thankful for that).  Also, remember that last bag that we forgot to plant?  It was our fingerling potatoes.  Those are up too.

Since the vegetable garden was left alone, I took to the flower beds and started on that. I still have more flower bed areas and the herb garden to weed.

I also took to the garage (again).  It's a mess due to several kids storing items in there.  In our last house, I had a "craft room" with storage, shelves, etc.  I do not have that luxury here.  I had about 4-5 (maybe more) totes of crafting supplies.  We purged all of them, and made a trip to the thrift.  We packed that car full, and I still have more to purge.  I'm happy with our progress, but I'm not sure I'll be able to convince the girls to help me next time (ha ha!).  I can now get to the heavy bag, speed bag, and parts of the weight bench.  It's a work in progress.  By the end of the night I felt we got a lot of work done.

Then....

I was shocked again.  My husband surprised me.  When he arrived home, we went on a motorcycle ride.  I do declare, we'll be buying new tires for that bike soon, ha ha!   It was a well earned ride for the both of us.  There is a racist investigation going on at his work, and every employee is being questioned a second time now.  It's been stressful for all the employees.

One last ditty.  I can see how my kids can get depressed by being on facebook.  While families are posting their beach house vacations, condo/pool Florida vacations, and what not, they might be lucky to get a nearby camping trip.  Hubby works long hours, very little time off, and we have animals.  When you have animals, especially farm animals, you kind of get stuck close to home (unless you are lucky to have a farm friend who can help).   I am encouraging the kids to alternatives - read a book, go for a bike ride, draw, get out to the porch, bake a new recipe from my "new recipe" stash, and even help me with outdoor chores.   

Comments

k said…
Inspired by your post about radish relish last year, I made some this spring. It was delicious. I ate it mostly on veggie burgers, but I also put it in a breakfast burrito, and it was really good. I thought about trying it in a grilled cheese or panini, but never got around to it.
k, that's what we are eating it on. A panini sounds good too. I should try that. It's the only way I can get my kids to eat radishes too.
Anonymous said…
I am ashamed to say my garden isn't even in yet!!! I stayed too cold almost til the last day of May and then the may flies were out. Nasty little vampires I call them and of course they keep one out of their reach by staying indoors. I'm hoping to get at least my herb garden started and probably some lettuce. I've got the trellises and the arbor to put up which will make a big change in appearance even if it isn't a green edible change. Everything sounds to be well with you and you have edibles to chose from! :)
Hugs for now,
Beth P
Beth P, we put our garden in late this year. I hope I get a good harvest of everything. Last year we did not get enough peas to freeze any. I think radishes, some tomatoes and a few potatoes. Most of the garden was flooded out last year.
Sam I Am...... said…
Oh, radish relish...that sounds really good! I just planted green peppers (plants) yesterday but they have flowers so they should be catching up soon. I still have some herbs to plant.
RB said…
Sounds like you had a busy weekend.
I'm getting back to normal after the sciatica. I got a load of cat laundry washed, hung to dry and taken down. Then I cleaned and filled the hummingbird feeders. Cleaned and filled the cat feeders and water bowls. Cleaned all their bedding.
It feels good when it's all accomplished and starting off a brand new week right.
I pray everyone has a safe happy week ahead.
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I Am, radish relish is wonderful.
Thank you RB, same to you.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart