Skip to main content

Sunshiny Day! Surprise Mail!

Tuesday I spent less time in the kitchen.  Kind of.  The sun was out and the temperature was nice, so out went the laundry.

Meanwhile, inside, I boiled eggs and baked a few loaves of white bread.  I figured I needed a break at dinner so it was egg salad, homemade bread, salad on the side and whatever fruit we had.  I love the smell of bread baking. 

I was multi-tasking in the kitchen, while the washing machine churned away, and realized I forgot to add the canola oil to the bread.  I had already put it in the dehydrator to rise, when I was putting my dishes away.  There sat the canola oil, already poured into the measuring cup.  

However, the bread baked just fine, tasted, just find, and only had a teensy yellow color to it.  Do you really need that oil in it?  Well, apparently in this recipe, I don't.  I only use a non-gmo/organic canola, so leaving it out would save me money (and fat).



Although the folks who took our Lamancha goats said we could have milk at any time, I'm not one to just ask that often.  I will be asking soon for a bit to make soap, so I'm holding off for now. 

In the meantime, I am buying organic butter.  I save the wrappers, fold them and place them into a sandwich bag in the refrigerator.  I use them to rub the top of my bread loaves after they come out of the oven.  I sometimes have to add more butter, but it saves me from getting waxed paper out and uses that last bit of butter on the wrapper.

I'm so excited to share, that the post lady delivered me a surprise mail package!  So happy!  Even my Vet Tech daughter is interested in the herb/cat/dog book.  Thank you, thank you thank you!

I am hoping to get some porch time soon, and open these books.  It's been very wet here, and too cold to enjoy the outdoors, but things are warming up again.

Comments

Susan said…
I LOVE egg salad sandwiches! When I'm desperate, I even make them on GF bread... :)
Mama Pea said…
What a good idea that is to save your butter wrappers! There's always some butter left on them no matter how much you try to scrape it off.

What a nice package of books you got! We've followed Juliette de Bairacli Levy's teachings for a long time and our dogs lived to be 12, 14 and 14 years of age.

I'm still waiting for a warm enough laundry day to start hanging outside. So far, I'd have to do it with mittens on to keep my fingers from freezing. (I have done it with rubber gloves on in years past. No fun though. ;o] )
Susan, we always look forward to boiled eggs over summer. Seems our supply isn't enough for winter with all these kids here.
Mama Pea, It's been nice to hang laundry out. And it smells so good when I bring it in.
GrannyAnnie said…
Sounds like a great dinner! We love simple dinners like that every now and then. That loaf of bread looks absolutely perfect and totally yummy! I can almost smell its aroma through the screen.
Thanks Anna. I need to made some sandwich buns and get them in the freezer. It always saves time at meal time, but hard to do with a large family.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart