Skip to main content

Update on Chicks ~ We have blooms! ~ The Surprise (new additions)

My little ladies are not that little any longer.  They are growing quickly.

I'm starting to teach them the call to come for a treat.  I need to get some meal worms next. 


A beautiful way to enjoy Easter this year - fresh flowers. What  a great feeling it is to walk outside, cut flowers, and bring them inside to enjoy.  I dug out a doily that came from my Aunt, and an old flower vase of mine.  It just adds so much sunshine to our home. It's crazy to still be burning wood for heat, yet enjoying these lovely blooms.

So what's the surprise?  

 Meet Jackson (Jax for short).

We haven't named this guy yet.  I'll be back to share that soon.

Two stinkin' cute Nigerian dwarf wethers.  Oh my!  Hubby and one daughter went on a road trip and brought them home.  It was music to my ears to once again hear little hooves pitter patter and to hear them cry out.  They'll have tons of pasture to munch down this summer.  Walking to the barn, working in the garden, and just being outside is more fun now.  Ah.  Life is good.

Happy Easter to everyone.  We are not doing much on account Hubby got called to work this morning, and our 19 year-old is working this morning too.  I am making a healthy breakfast and maybe a ham for dinner, but we are simply celebrating Easter Sunday on the porch today.  It may rain, but it's starting to look like a wonderfully, enjoyable day today.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
I think chicks grow faster than any other animal. Congrats on your two new goats. I know you really missed having them on the homestead. I hope Jax and Yet-Un-Named-Fella appreciate the good home they will have.

Happy Easter to you all!
Rain said…
Enjoy your Easter on the porch, I am doing the exact same thing as I type this...4 and a half hours and counting in the sunshine with the dogs! We're getting a deluge of rain tomorrow so I'm staying out as long as the sun warms me!
Thanks Mama Pea, they are already getting spoiled.
Rain, we did that too. It was just the most beautiful day Sunday.
RB said…
The chicks HAVE grown, and two boy goats...they're cute as buttons, but you won't get milk from boy goats ya know. LOL I'd love to have more chicks, but I can't get Bro Tom to get into the hen house to get eggs now as it is, and I can't get the gate open to do it myself. Grrr...
Prayers everyone has a great safe week.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, our 19 year-old is already trying to talk me into dairy goats next spring. Ha! I'm just not ready for the workload yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart