Skip to main content

Signs of Spring ~ Herb Bread


The daffodils and hyacinths are up and about to bloom.  No signs of tulips, except at my little garden alongside a log.  I hope to start bringing in fresh flowers soon. Once again the weather people were wrong.  The high 70's that were forecasted for early this week?  Not happening.  If we are lucky, we'll get up to maybe 60°F today, then drop to the 40's and 50's for a few weeks (or so they say).


   

I'm back to making tea infusions.  This one was nettle and oat straw.  I may make the next one with ginger.  I like to infuse all day then drink it iced.


I was excited to find one very last jar of home canned pizza sauce lurking in my pantry.  I thought we already used the last one, but lucky for us, we had another.


I dug out another "new" try it recipe.  This one is actually in this book (more like a magazine) from Grit.  It's the cheese and herb bread recipe.

Grit Magazine's recipe:  Herbs and Cheese Bread

It's not a yeast bread and you can mix it by hand in a bowl, so no need to kneed.  No rising required.



Instead of baking it as a loaf, I spread the dough evenly into two 9 inch pie pans.  When the bread was baked, I topped it and it baked again.



Delicious!  I put too much cheese on it, but the family gobbled it down.  I was worried two 9-inch pans would not make enough for our large family, but it was plenty.  You could use the entire dough in a 12 inch greased cast iron skillet and get a thicker crust for a pizza too.   

I cleaned quite a bit yesterday, as I heard today the weather would be nice.  I guess if they are correct, I'll be bringing in more firewood. 



 

Comments

Kim said…
I like the looks of that bread, will you be sharing the recipe?

We are getting a bit of a warm up today and I am so ready.
Kim, the recipe is available online via the Grit Magazine site. I added the link.
Susan said…
I might try to make this GF - I love herb bread! Our forecasters are way off, too. It seems the only way we know it's spring is if it snows in the morning. They were predicting 70 degrees this weekend, but nothing I've read seems to indicate we'll go above the low 50s. I know it's coming - it's just not fast enough!
Susan, I bet you'd like it. It's packed with herbs! Delicious.
RB said…
The bread looks amazing. Will have to try it.
Our tulips were popping up a week ago. Now we can't find a one thanks to a one night freeze. I don't know if they'll come back up again or not.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, it was pretty warm here yesterday, but turned cold quickly. Rain arrived, so I hope it helps my flowers bloom soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart