Skip to main content

Ground Chickory Root -~ Herbal Coffee ~ Tidbits

There are some days I have the hankering for a coffee in the middle of the day.  I don't buy decaffeinated coffee.  Although, I noticed our grocer just started carrying an organic decaffeinated coffee.

I've known for a long time that chickweed root can be ground for a coffee flavored, healthy drink, but haven't grown it here (yet).  We've see a few around, but not enough to dig up.






I ordered some Chicory to try instead. 

I read that chickweed root is like pulling cement.  And sometimes it's better not to plant at all.


I had the taste test.  I used the suggested 1/2 teaspoon of roasted powder (the root was sold out at the time of purchase).  I used a disposable tea-bag.  

It was very good.  Much better, in my opinion, than dandelion "coffee."  I find dandelion coffee or tea a bit bitter.  This is not as strong as black coffee, but a pretty good flavor.  I liked it.

 Like all herbs, it's best to research it, and read up on any side effects it may have.  Especially if you have allergies.  I have also found that you can purchase "herbal coffees" online, which contain herbs, fruits and other ingredients.  I wonder if coffee houses will start carrying them?  The last time Hubby and I went out on a date for coffee, I heard a woman as if they sold "herbal coffee."

Thanks for following along with my herbal journey.  I'm not sure what's next. I love my afternoon teas, and will soon start making iced teas again.  I love adding different herbs to it.

Today the kids have one last day of school before their spring break.  I think I am the only person that has not planned a huge Easter dinner. 

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Nope, there will be no big Easter dinner here either. It's just me, myself and I but my son and grandson will be coming later so we'll about one then...maybe. I always heard chicory root coffee was bitter so now I know different.
Sam I Am, I have made dandelion "coffee" from dandelions here in the property, and dandelion tea from stores. Both to me were bitter. This was actually pretty good. It's strong, so you use just a little. I used 1/2 tsp. for 1 mug of water.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart