Skip to main content

Homemade Shallot Powder ~ Dehydrating Shallots

I love shallots.  They have such a good flavor for sauces and such.  They kind of have an onion flavor with hints of garlic in it.


Some days I want to flavor my greens (other other dishes) with shallots and I don't have them on hand.



I dehydrated some shallots by finely chopping them and placing them on parchment paper on my dehydrator racks.  I can't tell you how long it took, but about the same as drying chopped up onions.  


I use parchment paper because it will fall through the racks, and when it's all dry. . .



I can lift the paper and fold it to slide it all down into the coffee mill I use.


I have two jars of shallot powder now in the pantry.  Mmm! 

Less space, less in my freezer, and until I get that root cellar built...... 

Ever since I re-organized those cupboards last year, the kids can find every spice and herb they could want in there now.  

Comments

Kim said…
I love the shallot idea! I do the same thing with mushrooms. My hubs does not like them(the looks of them)but I like to add them for flavor to certain dishes so this is the way I can use them and they make it under the radar.
Kim, that is a good idea. I have one daughter who doesn't like mushrooms either.
Susan said…
Great idea for both shallots AND mushrooms! I don't shop often and my shallots won't be ready for months. I imagine they're stronger when dried and powdered, so a little will go a long way.
Susan, I did not plant any last season, and they most likely would have drowned in rain anyway. I hope to get some this year (from the garden).
Rain said…
That's a great idea. I would do that with green onions because they tend to go to waste far too often. But I was just wondering, do you remember how long approximately it took to dehydrate? Maybe it's the dehydrator I have but it takes 12 hours or more sometimes just to dehydrate one apple. I know it's not the best quality, it's really noisy, kind of deters me from wanting to preserve that way.
Mama Pea said…
Two jars of shallot powder! Wowzer, that must be such a good feeling. What wonderful flavor they must add to soups. And wouldn't it be tasty to sprinkle some over the cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches?
Rain, I am taking a wild guess on time to dry them, but it was less than 12 hours. I diced them pretty small, so they dry faster. Green onion is a good idea too (I freeze mine like I do chives).
Ohhh Mama Pea that is a good idea. Yum.
RB said…
Sounds like a good idea. You can grow them you know, but I believe you have to plant them the fall before, not sure.
Just know that when we moved here, a row of leeks and a row of shallots popped up where the old residents had their garden. They were good and I've been using leeks instead of onions ever since, cause I developed an allergy to onion products a few years back, and now when I eat them, it's like I've been poisoned. Leeks are about the only thing my system will tolerate, cause you know there are just some things that can't be made without an onion of some kind - like a meatloaf, etc.
Prayers for a safe happy week ahead.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, that's great you had a surprise harvest. How fun.
LadyG1951 said…
Can shallots be dried in the oven?
Lady G, I guess it depends on how low your oven temp can go. Try watching some "how to's" on Youtube for more help on that.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart