Skip to main content

Update on the Frozen Mashed Sweet Potatoes

A few months ago, I baked organic sweet potatoes, mashed them, then froze them, bagged them separately, and then put those bags into one large bag.

I know it's only been four months, but I dug someone for dinner the other night to test them for the first time.  Even though they were bagged twice, I still had some ice on them.

They were delicious, and tasted as if they were baked.  They were thick and tasty.  It was like eating a baked sweet potato without the skins.


I put them in my oven frozen, and heated them through.  Our one daughter who told me she "hates mashed sweet potatoes" ate an entire one herself.  


They were delicious with nothing on them, but I did top mine with a dollop of organic butter. 

I will be doing this again if my garden harvest is low.  We find it difficult to buy organic during winter months, and this is an excellent way to ensure healthy meals.  And of course a quick healthy side dish.  The meal in the photo is a quick version of a ham tetrazzini - using what I had on hand and in the freezer.

Comments

Susan said…
This is good to know. I have frozen mashed potatoes before (although I did find them a bit watery after thawing - maybe the key is baking them frozen). I really love sweet potatoes, although my own crop is notoriously small. I would like to try this with whipped squash, too.
Susan, I am not sure on squash. When I have frozen whipped (or pureed) pumpkin, it thaws watery. I would like to try it with other squash too though. Yes, someone here suggested baking it before it thaws. Tasted delicious.
Rain said…
That looks good. I love sweet potatoes, especially with butter :) But I'd probably fry them up to make them into a kind of latka if I didn't care about the fat content. I just got myself into a good position to start preserving food. Before it was basically paycheck to paycheck, but my bf and I squirreled away some money for a deep freezer that's now in the basement! The only thing in there is one whole chicken, you know, for the principle of it! But to be honest, once I take it out tomorrow, I'm turning it off to save on energy cost...but we wanted to put something in there! It'll come to use much more when prices drop a little in the spring and I can start stockpiling a little bit at a time. We also found a dehydrator at a local flea market and I'm getting a water bath canner with equipment for my bday next month. I'm excited about the process and about the savings! Now I have to educate myself on what's best to freeze, dehydrate and water-bath can. How can you protect your food from frost in the freezer? I mean, double bagging seems like it should be sufficient.
Rain, double bagging works great. Even though I had a bit on the sweet potatoes, it did not bother the taste nor texture. I flash freeze some of my vegetables like green peppers, and hot peppers. I put them on a baking tray in a single layer and freeze a bit, then bag them. Works great. Glad you are getting all the do-dads to get your food put up this coming year.
RB said…
The frozen mashed sweet taters are a great idea. Not only effective freezing, but portion control too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Michelle said…
Thanks for posting this. I will be giving this a try. I will probable use my food saver since you had ice on yours. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.
RB, I froze them in 1 cup portions, but most of the sweet potatoes I baked were exactly (or very close to) 1 cup.
Michelle, that is a great idea. I just don't have that gizmo.
Unknown said…
I wished I would have seen this last fall. We had a bunch go bad on us before I could them. Thanks for the great idea!

Thanks for sharing on the Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop!
http://oursimplelife-sc.com/simple-homestead-blog-hop-35/
Tracy, you are welcome. I used all organic sweet potatoes too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart