Skip to main content

Saturday Scraps

I'm up early although against my will.  Now that I am dog care taker number one, I have dog duty.  Most days he curls up with me, but today, he was up and begging to go out.  So up I am.

I haven't have enough coffee yet, and already deleted a comment accidentally.  I hope that isn't a sign of how my day will be today, ha ha!


Yesterday I put up the last of the dandelion greens into the freezer.  I was afraid they would go bad before my dehydrator arrived.  And like all things you try to plan, my dehydrator arrived after I froze the last of the greens.  

I put up another two heads of organic cauliflower too.  I don't have a lot of space for ice, so I have to freeze veggies little by little this time of year.

 I brought in another pot full of kale too.  So happy to get this much from it this year.




I got a teensy bit of handiwork time on the porch.  This time of year, is the only time of year, I paint my nails.  It's national novel writing month, and rings and nail bling are my muse this month.  The weather quickly turned colder after the kids got home.  I expect very cold nights this weekend.

Since I had to use pure aloe plant for my rash and hands, I resorted to buying some organic aloe gel too.  My plants are pretty butchered, but in the process of buying the aloe gel, I received an instruction booklet.  I never really looked into all the benefits of aloe.  Did you know it works great for acne? So when a homecoming bound daughter broke out, she used it and in one application, her face was healed.  

Late last night we ended up putting a hen in the bathtub.  She's egg bound.  Anyway, she was perky after her soak, although no egg. We may need to put her in warm water again today.

Hubby had another interruption on cutting down those dead trees.  I just sighed and walked away.  He was required to go to work this morning, so the trees stand.  He knew I'd be worried, mad and frustrated, so he waited to the last minute to tell me.  He was to get up early and go get chainsaw blades today.  This is so frustrating, although I am trying to be patient, but they are a risk to leave standing.  I may just have to pay the high fees and hire someone before the snow arrives.

My licorice root arrived yesterday, so I have another "concoction" recipe I can play around with next week. 

Enjoy your weekend!

 

Comments

Kim said…
Sorry to hear the plans were derailed again. Is it possible that someone else might pick up the blades? That way at least the trees might get on the ground before the weekend is over. At least then they are a little safer and can be dealt with as time allows. I did not know that about aloe.
Kim, Hubby texted he knows he won't be home before 3pm, so today's work is tomorrows. If, he gets the blades. He knows what to buy, I do not, unfortunately. I'll have to take a photo of the aloe to share.
Mama Pea said…
Your kale and cauliflower looks wonderful. Kale is really the wonder veggie . . . it bears long after a couple of frosts and, apparently, even when it's under a foot of water for a time!

Aloe really is fantastic, isn't it? Can't be beat for burns and now I know it's good for acne, too. Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes it seems that when we really, really want one job done, the whole world (!) interferes with getting it done. Let's hope the tree cutting really gets done this weekend.

Sam I Am...... said…
You guys are so busy and productive. You need to pat yourselves on the back! I love how your family all works together for the benefit of all. What are you knitting? You should write a book about your self-sufficient lifestyle as there's a big audience out there for that now a days. The veggies look so good! And your nails!
Mama Pea, I'm up early to see that those blades are ready. He promised one tree would come down today (Sunday). We'll see. I still have an air conditioner that needs removed, and that's been on the list for a month.
Sam I am, I finished off knitting a dishcloth, and moved onto more projects. Thanks for the writing encouragement too.
RB said…
The time change has got all the animals confused. The dog wants out before daylight now, and paces and gives several long breathy "harumphs" until Tom gets up and lets him out. It also gets dark so early here now, and they sit about looking at each other as if to say, "Has she forgotten to feed us our supper?" So I've taken to feeding them a half hour early, just to ease them through it.
We're still confused a little bit ourselves, not being hungry at dinner time, suddenly becoming horribly so an hour later, so we're trying to keep that in mind and adjust ourselves.
Sorry to hear about the tree plans getting derailed, but ya never know - it may be God ordained with you finding you need the extra $$$ for an unplanned emergency around the bend.
Praying for a safe happy week ahead for everyone reading this.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I agree on the $$$. It may be needed another time too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart