Skip to main content

A day in photographs. . .a barter



 Well, some of my day anyway.....morning starts with coffee.



Folded Saturday's towels I forgot about.  My "linen" closet is a vintage laundry basket.




A morning walk with Jesse.

Jesse walking himself.


Kale went into the dehydrator.

Organic broccoli went into the freezer.

Three loads of laundry went on the line.

. . . which prompted me to go inside and write down a list of things I need to crochet this winter.  I love my hand towels and washcloths I made.  By the way, I wrote to the chamber of where the yarn factory was located (from the label on the yarn I used), and it was sold to a Canadian Company.  I, so far, cannot locate the same yarn I bought a few years ago.


New hand towels went up.  I don't iron.   This towel is usually wrinkle free from wet hands by mid-day.

...and that was before breakfast.





Someday I won't have to do this.


Dinner prep.


 (should have had an organic greek yogurt, banana and a serving of veggies)


Hubby cleaned the coop for me.  Yay!  After he worked all day.

...and that's where I forgot to keep taking photos.  I had to walk Jesse again, get the laundry back down, get a bed made, dinner on the table, so you got part of the day anyway.

Dinner prep also included making a "can" of condensed mushroom soup.  I made homemade tuna and noodles, using organic ingredients, organic cauliflower was used to make Italian roasted cauliflower, and I added another side of sauteed asparagus.

Tonight's dinner?   I'm thawing some delicious blue gill that my older brother gifted us.  I'll have to think on what sides to make, but that part is decided on.

Speaking of fish, Hubby is putting in his "dream" thoughts to our homestead now.  Now that I'm pushing on the root cellar, he's considering a pond for stocking fish.

We have a few things going on this week that is putting the big barn project on hold, but for once, I am okay with that.

Good news!  I can give the remaining black walnuts to folks who want them.  The tree is still full of them.  Maybe a barter, but typically they go for free.  Why?  Hubby's co-worker grows English walnuts.  He's bartering with us - 2 full bags of their home grown walnuts for my home canned zucchini salsa (which you know is not something I like to give away), and some home canned jam.  These are the types of people I wish were my neighbors. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks like a productive day! What kind of yarn did you use to crochet your towels and rags?
Kim said…
I never have enough time in my day either.
Sam I Am...... said…
It's a busy time of year but every day is busy when you're raising a family.
Robin, I used Honeysuckle Yarns, 2- ply, cotton, USA made, by Elmore-Pisgah Incorporated (Old Fort, NC). But they are no longer in business, and I am still looking for similar yarn. These are holding up well, and thinner, so they dry faster than 4 ply cotton.
Kim, I just push the leftover to-do's into the next day.
Anonymous said…
I mean was it cotten or acrylic?
Mama Pea said…
I love bartering! Also love this blog post with the pics showing what you did most of the day. Kinda makes me feel like I was there. Almost. :o]
Sorry Robin, I used 100% cotton
Mama Pea, once the kids got home from school I got discombobulated, ha ha.
Anonymous said…
Kristina, thank you so much for replying!!! I had wrote my second comment before you replied so this one of yours was adequate :) Thank you again!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart