Skip to main content

Raisin Bread and other tidbits

I decided to bake my first cinnamon-raisin bread. Yes, that is today's big news story.  


This "pioneer" woman has not baked this tasty treat until yesterday.
 


And it was delicious!   Next time we go camping, I am baking up a loaf for making french toast at the campground.  Mmmm!

Thank you Candy at Lazy J Bar C for the recipe.  It smelled so good while it was baking.



Laundry has been in full swing, and we are going through many kitchen towels, and rags lately.

I spent most of the day stocking up some of the onions.  


 Onion soup cooling to put in the freezer.

Dehydrating onions for onion flakes and onion powder.

Only a few rotten ones in the first bunch I brought in. 



The wrens have taken up a second bird house, which is also right at my clothesline and back patio.  Mom is so jealous.  I may have already shared that, so sorry if it's a repeat.

Comments

Sandra said…
The raisin bread looks delicious :)
Mama Pea said…
I love cinnamon-raisin bread, especially for breakfast. I also like to drizzle a white frosting over the top . . . which really fouls up my toaster when I try to make toast from it! The season is coming when I'm going to get back into baking our bread. Can't wait!
Mama Pea, one of the girls made french toast with it this morning, and the house smelled soooo good!
Sam I Am...... said…
Oh yum! I made dough the other day but haven't gotten to making bread with it yet. I usually make a regular loaf and then cinnamon rolls or pizza with the rest but I may have to make some of that cinnamon raisin bread!
I always like to see rags in the laundry as it means I got some cleaning done! LOL!
Sam I am, cinnamon rolls sound wonderful. I should make them again soon. I should made pizza dough for the freezer too.
RB said…
Looks yummy!!!
Funny story about raisins. Had a friend long ago that had a 3-year old boy who spent a week with his grandparents one summer. Every morning the child and grandpa would get up and eat breakfast together - the boy eating Cheerios and Grandpa eating Raisin Bran as older folks often do. After a few days of this, as Grandpa was getting their breakfast ready, the boy said, "Today I want the cereal you have Grandpa, the one with the flies in it." LOL
Now to take it a little further, the boy's Grandma was famous for her homemade apple pie which she made special by putting a handful of raisins into each one. From that day forward, however, it became known as "Grandma's Fly Cemetery Pie" because of the raisins that dotted it throughout. And here I am still some 30-40 years later, I see anything with raisins in it, and I think back to that story.
Have a good week.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, that is a funny story, thanks for sharing that!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart