Skip to main content

Baked Onion Rings ~ Freezing Onion Soup ~ Onion Powder ~ Freezing Caramelized and Raw Onions


Just one simple vegetable from the garden can bring us a lot of help over winter.  I am making the most of what little we got this year.





(amount I need to make for one batch of onion soup)


I've been freezing more onion soup as well.  This soup base works wonderfully for starting any stew or soup for little cost.  It does require beef (I buy organic) broth to make it, so it's not vegetarian.



I have been dehydrating onions and made more onion flakes and onion powder to re-stock the pantry. 






I have also been freezing caramelized onions.  This is a first for me.  It will save time making omelets, or other meals.  I simply sliced onions, and cooked them in a mixture of organic olive oil and organic butter.  When I run out of 4 oz. containers, I'll freeze them in a muffin tin then place in a zip bag.


I made baked onion rings to go with dinner one night - delicious!

I'll keep any remaining onions, in a cool, dry location.  They only last about 6 months in the freezer (frozen raw), so I will hold off as long as they are looking good.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
What a wonderful plethora of onion ideas! I really need to get going on some of your very good suggestions which would be so much help (and time savers) during the winter months of cooking. Just came in from six hours of staining the new deck and wooden walkway. I need something to pick me up and give me give me the will to do what needs to be done yet today . . . mainly harvesting what I think will be the last of the yellow and green beans.
Mama Pea, it feels weird not having a plethora of tomatoes, green peppers, etc. this fall, but I am keeping myself busy for sure.
Sam I Am...... said…
It's so great to see the many ways you take one vegetable and utilize it the fullest extent. I love onions and they are so good for you.
RB said…
I work at part-time at a grocery store that discounts (yellow tags) surplus meats. I use to store them in small individual freezer bags then got to thinking how expensive those freezer bags were. Now I put each piece of meat into the cheapest sandwich bag available, and put all those into a large freezer bag by product and freeze. Not only does that save on the smaller individual freezer bags, but because they're wrapped before going into the large freezer bag halting contamination, you can use the large freezer bags over again.
I also do that for herbs and vegetables, so you could do it for onions too, cooked OR uncooked.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, that is a good idea. It will help keep the raw onion smell from getting into the freezer too.
RB said…
Wondering if you put those plastic bags of onions into a larger freezer bag that has some baking soda sprinkled in it, if that would help with onion odors in the freezer.
Worth a try.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart