Skip to main content

Visiting Flamingo

My garden has been high jacked by a cleaning frenzy going on in my garage.  Obviously the kids have compromised the flower bed with one very pink, plastic, flamingo.  They think they are so funny. 

The story behind having this flamingo (we had two, but I have no idea where the other one went), is that we had a plan for them.

My younger brother had a birthday coming up, and he despises "yard trash."  Basically, anything that is not growing naturally, and is put out for yard decorations.

Our plan?


We had planned to buy a few more if we could find them, and sneak over to my brother's house and "flamingo" his yard for his birthday.  

Now that I see how the flamingo looks, we may just collect a few more, and maybe a bird bath for them too.  It may just happen one of these years.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
One of those ugly things appeared in our yard once but we shot it. ;o)
Ha ha ha ha! Thanks for the laugh Mama Pea!
Lady Jane said…
Ha ha ha... In our town the dear flamingos get stolen and found in other parts of the town. It has become a real event...
Ha! That's funny... Incidentally the man that created this mid mod yard art... Recently passed. I understand his flamingos gave him a lucrative nest egg... If you don't mind the pun.
He was 79 and his name ... Don Featherstone
Lady Jane, maybe if I put it closer to the road someone will take him, ha ha!
Patricia, if I could only come up with a good money maker like that, ha ha!
Liz said…
A place nearby used to rent them out for birthdays. If you were turning say 50, they would decorate your yard with 50 pink flamingos. Wonder what happened to them, haven't seen a pink bird in quite awhile.
Liz, it's hard to find them around here anymore. I bought the two I had for under $5 a few years ago.
RB said…
Years ago, we snuck over to my youngest sister's house in a nicer subdivision in a nicer area of town after dark and put several small flamingos near the edge of the street in her yard. Her house is on a hill with a natural tree area between it and the curb, and we were thinking she wouldn't see them until she left to go to work, after several of her neighbors had already driven by on their way to work, had seen them there and got a laugh out of it at her expense.
Well, turned out she liked 'em and put them in her flower bed up closer to her front porch, so our little joke on her turned out to be a joke on us. LOL
Me, I like yard trash and have many many birdhouses including one of a haunted house, a lighthouse and a couple of churches, along with an elves' village, a toad's house (though no toad has lived in it yet), several mushroom houses and even a miniature camper/trailer park set up in the yard. I also have many gnomes and animals - rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, a frog, a snail, a turtle and even a buffalo. There's also an arbor filled with solar lanterns that lights up the arbor at night along with a solar light up cross that glows in the garden at night. Bro Tom makes me put them all in natural areas though so he doesn't have to move them all when he mows the grass. I'm just glad he puts up with my child-like imagination.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, that is a funny story.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart