Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

Sunday, just as we sat down at the front porch for our dinner, the deer came out for their dinner.  This time she brought two youngin's with her.


In case you have been wondering where I've been the last few days.....Mom, myself, and my 18 year-old daughter, took a two night road trip.   I typically pick up a gallon of apple cider vinegar, along with other organic grains.  However this trip, I came back without one item.  I found out that Bragg's is not producing the gallon size jugs of apple cider vinegar (organic/non-gmo) this year, due to a shortage.  That was a moment I never expected.  I use a lot of it for canning season, and had hoped to can more relish.  I do use it for other things, as well as a natural de-wormer for my chickens.  The regular size bottles are still available though.

Oh my....on the trip we got to see more goats, and I have to say we (daughter and I) really miss ours. 

I am certain that we'll have dairy goats again in the future.  After ours found new homes, I realize now that I fit in this lifestyle more so than I ever thought I did.  It really is for me, and I really enjoy it (despite the work involved).


I fell in love this this precious one during the road trip too.  If I only had a trailer....sigh.

 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Glad you got to get away for a short time. You are well-deserving of a break. Isn't it nice to realize our lifestyles are the ones we want to be living? We never have to worry about the hours dragging or how to fill our time! How much better to have a life we love (even though we can never accomplish all we want) than to only yearn for a different kind of life. We are lucky duckies!
Mama Pea, you are so right - "lucky duckies" My one daughter is willing to help me pick out smaller dairy goats when I am ready again. First, I have to find produce to stock up this winter. I was thrilled to find green beans on the trip too.
Susan said…
I would recommend Nigerian Dwarf goats - they are small and great milkers, known for a high cream content. Plus they are cute as all get-out. I am so glad you got away for a while. As much as we all love this lifestyle, it's good to get off the farm every now and then. Did they say why there was a shortage? A shortage of organic apples? It just seems odd...
Thanks Susan, I'll have to remember that. The shortage is due to the lack of apples available. Kind of scary, and they are limiting the sale of the smaller bottles now.
Unknown said…
Are those Shire draft horses? I love those. Apple cider vinegar shortage? Who knew! I may make some since we'll have a bumper crop of apples....
Nancy, they are draft horses. That's great you have apples. If i had some, I'd be making it too.
I hadn't heard of an ACV shortage... of gallon sized.
hmmm... if I had apples I'd make mine as well.
I'm not much into goats or calves...but I have my chickens and my small garden and I definitely have the imagination for my lifestyle.
I'd say... I like living this way. Which is good, since I don't see me changing lifestyles, location, etc anytime soon.
Patricia, I buy the gallon for canning and cooking (I use it for a cooked dressing for macaroni salad etc). It lasts a all winter long for me. I also use ACV for canning my beets. I have zero to can this year, unless I find some at the market.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart