Skip to main content

Random Tidbits


We shucked all of the sweet corn, so that once-a-year job is done.   Tiger was standing by for the first bag (right in the photo).  He loves to chew on the husks.



I went to the garden, but knew as my feet squashed into the ground it would not reveal anything to pick.  The only thing I picked was a bucket full of bettles, and a few squash.

  Back to the kitchen I went.

I'm busy canning, which is a wonderful feeling.  Hubby brought home some zucchini from a co-worker, and I knew what his intentions were.  He held one of the up and asked how many cups I could get from that one zucchini.  After I answered, he revealed a bag of them.

I'll be chopping a lot of vegetables, after I can peach jam today.  He better hope I have a few hot banana peppers (on my only plant), and one jalapeno too.

Somewhere in that time, I have to make tortillas for tonight's dinner - egg/pinto bean/cheese wraps.  I woke up to find 1 tortilla in the container.  I am pretty sure I'll have to wait for school to start, before I can get some stored in the freezer.  




If you shop at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, you probably got an email from them, telling you about how congress is trying to deny voters from passing any bills for gmo labeling. 

Here is one link if you are interested in knowing what's going on:  Tell Congress to Protect Your Right to Know:  Oppose the Dark Act 

 

What are you puttin' up this week?  Food? Handiwork?  Your feet?

Comments

Mama Pea said…
I'm puttin' up (hopefully) a few strawberries in the freezer for smoothies (if we don't gobble them all up fresh first), more work on the deck rebuilding, getting the lawn mowing and weed whipping done, weeding the blueberry/raspberry patch and possibly (!!!) starting the painting on the house! And dreaming of getting a bunch of your tortillas made for the freezer.

Speaking of dreaming, in my dream last night it snowed and all the garden froze. Do you think I'm worried about all my veggies being so far behind this year??
Mama Pea, I can't do much outside work yet. I think it's day 3 of dry days and we still squish in the grass, let alone the garden. It's still very very wet everywhere. Your dream made me laugh..ha ha!
Susan said…
Had to laugh at that last one! I finished a batch of currant jelly - but I'm not sure of the texture. I always have trouble with jelly. I have a large batch of peaches and I will be drying some, freezing some and maybe making some jam. How long does it take you to make a batch of tortillas? I found a press at Goodwill and found a basic recipe that I have used before I had the press. I'd like to get a stash in the freezer, too.
Susan, mixing only takes a few minutes, but then you press out the 16 dough pieces, taking maybe 15-20 minutes. Then you wait 15 minutes. Then each takes 1 1/2 minutes - that's another 24 minutes. Close to an hour I guess. I use one pan to do mine in, one at a time. I just wipe the pan if it gets too much flour in it. Currant jelly sounds delicious!
Michelle said…
Don't have corn or other veggies yet but plenty of fruit. I have been busy dehydrating plums and apricots. As well as making glazes, syrups, and jams for this winter. Can't wait tell my other crops come in. I say that now but by the end of August, start of September I will be praying for my plants to stop producing. LOL
Michelle, all that fruit sounds wonderful. We have zero. I'm not sure if the pear trees are producing this year yet. I know what you mean about fall time. I am already realizing the energy canning requires again.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart