Skip to main content

It's On!

The battle of the weeds has begun.  This is just one section, before Hubby got busy with the weed wacker (or also called a trimmer).  The is the reality of not using a weed killer or other chemicals, and it's too big to tarp over winter.   We thought about putting plastic in between the rows, but with the amount of heat it gets, we were concerned with chemicals the plastic would put into the garden. 


One year we put newspaper around all the tomato plants then covered them with a think layer of straw.  That did not work either.  It would dry up after it rained, and the wind would blow it all away.  I took photos so we can determine a plan for this next year.   With good weather, I'd normally be out there almost daily for weed control.



This is after the weed wacker.  The tilling is yet to be done there. But there is more to work to do of course.  Isn't there always, ha ha!


I can only laugh when I see these pictures.  A long crazy, head tilting, bellowing laugh.  What a mess!


Somewhere in that jungle, we have popcorn growing.  It's almost taller than the grass now. Ha ha!  Personally, I think the grass is winning.  



I was successful in clearing the weeds by hand around all the onions.  It took several days, but it's done, yay!  They look great on the west side, but the east side is still wet, even after all these dry days.  They are much smaller on that side of the garden too.


Hubby is lucky this morning.  He was supposed to pick me up coffee last night on his way home.  When he arrived we went straight to the garden.  In the midst of things, we didn't really talk about what he did bring home.  This morning?  No coffee.  Lucky for him, I had a small stash leftover in my camping gear we recently took to the island.  Oh, is he ever lucky.  A morning without my coffee?  Tsk, tsk.  I better add it to my grocery list. 

The rain cometh again today.  It appears we'll get a downpour about mid-day.  It's a good time to plan our 16 year-old's "sweet sixteen" birthday party.  It's a bit later than her birthday, but will happen no less.

Comments

Lady Jane said…
That looks like work for a trimmer lawn mower. We have one and it is the best thing since sliced bread. It is a lawn mower but instead of blades has very thick string. It is a wonderful workhorse and even I can use it. Hugs, LJ
Kim said…
Good luck with the weeds. I think god gives us weeds to keep us humble. After this years rain we should be one humble bunch for sure!! I love the coffee mug from West Virginia!
Lisa B said…
Odd I use 4-5 pieces of newspaper with straw on top around every plant. I wet the straw and if I reach under it the ground is damp and cool even when its hot and dry. I use plastic and old carpet between the rows successfully also. I haven't noticed any issue with leaching from plastic but mine is heavy issue used in silage bags. It doesn't disintegrate that I can tell. I've had it for 20 years. I use weed cloth for the first time this year between 2 rows. So far it's working although I have doubled it just in case. I've heard of people using heavy cardboard as well but I haven't needed to try that. Good luck with your jungle. I feel your pain. My husband weedwhacked around the pole beans. Its his choice and I don't go over there.
Lady Jane, it worked out pretty nicely too.
Kim, you are right on that, ha ha! I bought that mug when we were driving home from GA, dropping our daughter there. On the way home we had to drive around the mountains, due to a truck catching on fire in the mountain tunnels. It was a very long night, but very funny memories.
Lisa, we are considering the weed cloth for next year too. We also considered cardboard too. It can get pretty windy where we are. I know one thing, we'll eventually learn what works out here.
Mama Pea said…
Heck, considering the overload of rain you've had, I think your garden looks great . . . weed whacked and all! You didn't stand a chance on keeping up with the weeds this year so you should feel no shame there.

I plant both in raised beds, in a field garden, and the "upper garden" (formerly known as the pumpkin patch). I always notice there are a lot fewer weeds in the raised beds but I'm sure that's because I plant them so intensively. I have to keep on them pretty frequently until the seeds planted start to grow, then the plants themselves shade out most all weeds. But there are certain things that aren't suited to the raised beds . . . like bush beans, corn, pickling cukes, shell peas, potatoes, squash, etc. So those have to go in the field garden with wider paths between the rows. But I mulch with grass clippings pretty heavily and that really helps with the weeds. So does having normal rainfall!
Aw, gee, thanks Mama Pea. Last year I planted my pie pumpkins pretty heavily in the popcorn, and had practically no weeds there.
We only have our bed boxes...nothing as big as your garden. Be boy! do we have weeds! I have failed miserably at getting the gone and out of there! Like you... I failed at preventive maintenance too!
newspapers and straw just don't do it here, not with the wind and rain.
I don't know what I'd do if I had to give up coffee. I've already given up the sugar in it...;)
Patricia, Hubby and I are talking about completely moving the garden to another area, using different tools for weed prevention, etc. We had a bad year of rain a few years ago, but I don't recall it being this bad. Coffee is my morning brew, then tea in the afternoon. I love them both.
Sam I Am...... said…
I used to use newspaper and then grass trimmings as I bagged mine. It worked good as the grass was heavy enough and wet enough that it clumped and held the paper down. Of course, you had to replace it but we had a good supply of grass trimmings so it wasn't a problem! LOL!
Sam I am, with goats gone now, we'll have lots of grass trimmings now.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart