Skip to main content

Note Unburied

The rainy day advantage was up for me once again.  I dug through a pile that was building and building.  In the process, I found a note written to me.

I know Mother's Day has passed by, but I wanted to share this note I got from my 18 year-old daughter.   This one was pretty amazing (not that the other cards and notes were not).

She wrote it in pencil, so I hope you can read it.  I darkened the print as best I could too.








The all-day rain we got yesterday, finally stopped some time during the night.  The highway flooded, just as we suspected, flowing more water in our direction.

I almost thought I was at the island, the rain sounded like waves of water crashing throughout the day.

We have tadpoles growing in staying water.  The kids thought that was just way cool.  As for me?  It painted a picture of the demise of our garden bounty this season.

I may need a row boat to get to the barn and garden today.  Then again, my garden may have floated off to lands unknown too.  Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow and all of the holiday weekend. 

Have a wonderful Sunday.  

I'm going to find a dry chair and sit on the porch in my pajamas.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Your daughter's note? Priceless.

Oh, Kristina, I know how much you wanted a bountiful garden this year so you could have plenty of food put by for the coming winter. I feel so badly that your rain and flooding are causing so much more work for you. Add in the frustration of it all and I think you need to get in as much porch time (in a dry chair) as you can. Sending hugs.
Mama Pea, I get so depressed every day it rains. The wind did some damage, so today I am really down. I picked shell peas, but sank 3 inches into the garden every step I took. I'm trying to be positive, but all that work.....
RB said…
I have no hopes of reading that letter. My eyes are too bad. I'm sure it's very sweet though, and what a sweet child to take the time to write all that down too. It's a treasure of the heart, for a heart.

As for the rain, ours has calmed down a bit. We're expecting more in the next few days, but the storms that accompany it are sometimes frightening, especially for the critters.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart