Skip to main content

Apron Kind of Day


I've been having what I call "apron days" here lately.  Starting my day in the "garden" apron, then the "canning" apron, then my "housework" apron, and ending it in my "cooking" apron. 

Today's my day starts with draining more cheese.  Mmm!  Tonight we'll enjoy some with either hot pepper jelly, or port wine jelly, on crackers.
 

What we will get more of:


First batch of this year's reduced sugar wild black raspberry jam is made.  



What we need more of:

Used our last jar of home canned tomato sauce.  I'm pleased that we made it to June with last year's harvest.




What we need less of:

Rain.  I'm trying my hardest not to borrow worry from tomorrow. 



Last night's dinner - pasta with home canned tomato sauce and garden kale, garden peas with garlic, onion and lots of garden herbs (rosemary, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, etc), and home canned spiced beets.


 My wonderful Uncle gave me these dishes and they get used all the time here.  I now use two at a time to make dinner - one for the vegetarian dish and one with meat.  I just love them.  No foil to recycle too. and I can put the dish in the fridge with leftovers.  No extra containers needed.  

My flower beds are happy now, and the rain is welcomed by them.  I'm so glad we got them mulched, so I can focus on the herb garden and the vegetable garden now.

I had a long and prosperous day, despite rain.  I tackled some indoor deep cleaning, and have more on the list, saved for rainy days.  I started more Christmas handiwork too.

A funny to share.  I sent the younger two up to clean their room, after having seen it.  My 18 year-old was already cleaning her room.  She came downstairs laughing and swinging her head side to side.  I grabbed my camera (tee hee) and slowly crept up the stairs.  The girls were supposed to be cleaning, but what I captured on film?  Ha ha ha!  They will ever be reminded what not to do while cleaning.  I caught one in a bathing suit, and they were dancing to music.  I filmed until they saw me, but I'm pretty sure they'll focus on the job next time.  Then again, they are kids. 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Oh, my gosh! Your wild berry jam looks wonderful! If only I could grow enough ripe tomatoes to have a supply that would last me until June! Not until we get a hoop house, that's for sure. Back in Illinois (where the summers were hot, hot, hot) I made the bulk of my tomatoes into stewed tomatoes because I use so many of those in soups/stews/spaghetti sauces I make. Someday . . .

I've been getting a little more done inside, too, because of our rain. Although they're again forecasting chance of thunderstorms today, it's gorgeous right now. Just came in from thinning my pickling cukes.
Sandra said…
Ooohhh all those yummy jams and canning. After finding the pear tree, I'm sure I'll be canning lots of that too.

I love all your aprons, I have a few too and always put one one before doing housework, I don't know why but it just sets the mood for me and it means business.

So funny about your kids, mine always get distracted when it comes to their rooms too.

Have a great Friday :)
Susan said…
I love how you have your aprons hung! Mine are sort of draped everywhere. I think that aprons are the handiest piece of clothing ever invented. We are having a very wet start to the summer, too. Cool as well. I don't like to complain, given the drought in other parts of the country, but, well, it could let up for a while.
Mama Pea, I picked more berries today, so I may just get 4 more jars this season. The birds are starting to get at them.
Sandra, my kids can be so entertaining some days, ha ha!
Thanks Susan, I have aprons on those hooks for all the girls too, and one for Hubby when he is grilling. We have a dry day today, but rain (sigh) is coming again tonight.
Anonymous said…
Hi Susan,
Love all the jams & canning.
My husband & I have a small little farm, we grow our own berries & veggies to can. I love following your blog... Thank you!

Come check out my website, I make the old style aprons,

http://home.earthlink.net/~daveandgrace/gifts/

Thank you, Grace
RB said…
We're getting lots of rain now, but I do remember saying God could keep the lightning and hail. LOL
His will will be done. Praise and Thank God!!!

God bless.

RB
<><
Country Grace, some of my aprons hanging on those hooks were made by you. It's one of my favorite patterns, Thanks, Kristina
RB, well we didn't get lightning or thunder all day yesterday, but we got a ton of rain.
Anonymous said…
Hi Kristina,
Love all the jams & canning.
My husband & I have a small little farm, we grow our own berries & veggies to can. I love following your blog... Thank you!

Come check out my website, I make the old style aprons,

http://davengracegifts.wix.com/heritage-aprons

Thank you, Grace
Thanks Grace, I'll pop on over and take a look-see.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart