Skip to main content

Spring Rain ~ Random Tidbits




I have much to weed and plant yet.

I have hostas to split, and plant in new locations.  Timmy was taking an afternoon siesta, so I let him sleep and worked in another bed.



He loves to crawl under the hostas to cool off in the hot summer.



The dishwasher finally died.  This is the second dishwasher we've had.  This last one was a Kenmore and it did not last many years.   After a few years, some of the buttons stopped working, and then recently, it just completely stopped. 

Anyway, the indoor chores are now falling behind.  However, despite dropping the pineapple all over the floor, and spilling almost an entire goat bucket of water on my legs, I was successful at other stuff.  I got my front flower bed weeded, glady bulbs planted, four herbs potted (lemongrass, comfrey, peppermint, and calendula), pie pumpkin seeds planted, popcorn planted, and some zinnia seeds tossed all before it rained.

I also mixed up a new recipe - a homemade cracker.  If it passes the taste test, you'll get to hear about it.  I plan to mix up a batch of hummus early this morning, so I hope the crackers turned out tasty (to go with it).  It will be my snack after I plant vegetable plants today.  I am on a mission to get the fluff off, that I gained over winter, lose more, and keep it all off.

Yesterday's work seemed like it took forever, with the goats, watering animals, walking dogs, and such, I felt like I was never going to get everything done.  Yesterday, the entire day of chores were all gloriously mine.  Said in my most pretend , happy voice.  I was, and am not,  ready to go back to reality of hard work just yet.  I told the kids I wanted a "birthday/Mother's day week."

And the truth is, it's the best time to get all seeds in the ground.  More rain arrived about 5:00pm last night.  Perfect for forcing me indoors for cleaning up.

I actually took my book(s) to the front porch and read.  I haven't had time for that, so it was a real treat. 




Currently reading . . .
 I'm still reading A Farwell to Arms - a year of reading Hemingway.  I'm also reading my root cellaring book.

So the positive side of yesterday?  I got something planted, I got time to read, I mixed up a new (very healthy) recipe, and I have a plan for today.  I missed the sunrise, as I overslept.  Maybe tomorrow.

I'm lacking in the staying organized department, and the handiwork department.  I am pretty sure I have a dishcloth on my knitting needles and need to make a few more cup coasters with my crochet hook.

On the not-so-positive side of yesterday?  We found out that the strike has no visible end.  Meaning they are not even close to making negotiations come to an end.  

The girls will be out of school to help with the goats soon (so I can go to work), but I need them to find new homes (like yesterday).  The bucklings have to be kept in a separate pen now, and if they don't sell,  it will cost me to wether them.


The weather today is a high of 60°F.  A drop from 82° yesterday.  But!  It's perfect for planting in the garden.  Our green onion is in top harvesting form, so I'm making veggie pockets/salads for this week.






Comments

Mama Pea said…
The work load does seem overwhelming this time of year, doesn't it? I think what bothers a good homemaker more than the added outside work is that what falls through the cracks is keeping the house (including meals) in good shape. And the little bit of "me" time (handwork, reading, etc.)? Well, that's mighty hard to find.

Have you given thought to butchering your bucklings? It would be meat for the table and getting them "fixed" or sold wouldn't be necessary. I know some folks can't consider that but they are a real delicacy in the Greek and Spanish communities.
Mama Pea, it is very overwhelming this time of year. And the kids get lazy because school is about to be out for the year too. Daughter said she's working on finding homes. Because they are purebreds, she doesn't want them to go for cheap. She also needs the money for college books this fall. This is the frustrating part of having goats. You gotta have the babies to get the milk, and I really can't increase the herd. Right now every single one is up for sale.
Lisa B said…
Kristina, I'm curious why you don't band the buck kids? It's easy peasy and only cost a few dollars for a bag of bands. Different folks, different strokes huh?
Lisa, if we don't sell them soon, I told Hubby that would be the way to go. Much cheaper than taking them to the farm vet.
"Oh,time to read.", she says dreamily.
:)
RB said…
Got through T.S. Ana just fine though some people in Raleigh, etc. experienced flooding.
The day following, it was 90 degrees and so humid you could cut it with a knife (it seemed), but a cool front came through that night, and it's been very nice since then. In fact, outside tonight taking down clothes hanging on the line, I mentioned a time or two that you couldn't ask for a prettier night, and you couldn't. It's just gorgeous.

I hope it's the same where ever you all are.

God bless.

RB
<><
Patricia, ha ha! Yes, it is a nice pleasure to have reading time.
RB, I'm glad you got a cool front to get rid of that humidity.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart