Skip to main content

March Weather ~ Random Tidbits

The snow we got on Monday melted, and was replaced with rain two days later.  The temperature went up one day, then back down the next.  It's raining as I type this, and they say we may get snow again today.

Only in our state, the kids say. 

March is finicky at it's best.  Walking dogs in mud is not so fun.
  

I'm patiently waiting to get into the garden.  It's been too wet to till, and I need a portion tilled for potatoes.  At least 10 lbs. of red norlands.


They are ready.  However, I'm still waiting on a shipment of organic heirloom seed potatoes.  Even after those arrive, I still need to buy about 20 more pounds.  Organic seed potatoes are horribly high priced.




Have you heard on the news about the lawsuit against many popular wine makers due to high levels of arsenic?  In truth, it doesn't surprise me.  If it's cheap, they have to be cutting corners somewhere in the production.  However, Sutter is not really cheap and they were listed.  If you google it, you can locate the entire list of wine producers involved.   Maybe it's time to start making my own pear wine?  Rhubarb wine?  


Last night I went to the computer to double check something, and saw our 18 year-old's homework on the counter.

There is no way I could do this.  She's taking calculus and advanced chemistry.  That's some crazy homework.  No wonder her shoulders hurt yesterday.  Leaning over all this homework lately, then milking Peanut too.

I actually spent some time writing yesterday.  Well, I think I did more researching, but anyway...found some old journal entries that made me laugh out loud.  Like one of the times we moved, and youngest was riding her booster seat down the U-haul ramp.  Oh, the fun memories when they were little.  Or the time when my now 18 year-old pulled the emergency string in the hospital bathroom (when she was seven).

I'll admit, now that I am getting caught up, I have more free time.  It will only last a short time, but I'm enjoying it.  We don't need to haul wood as much, we can't work outside due to the weather, and so forth.  I do have a long list of deep cleaning to do yet - window cleaning, light fixtures, etc.  Either way, I'm enjoying the lack of work, although it has been difficult to slow myself down (after being full speed ahead for so long).


Comments

Mama Pea said…
Definitely NOT good news about the level or arsenic in wines. Good grief! Pretty soon there won't be anything we can safely eat or drink.

I haven't bought potatoes for planting for I-don't-know-how-many years. I just save the little ones we dig up each year for planting the next. So far, that plan is working.

Don't slow down too much because the really busy season is about to hit us all! Seriously, take some time out (Huh? What's that?) while you can.
Mama Pea, once the kids move out, I'll have enough potatoes to save. It seems they eat us out of house and home, ha ha! The rain has stopped, so I'm sure my little free time is over today.
RB said…
Watching to see if March leaves NC like a lamb since it came in like a lion. Will be interesting.
If you plant taters when the soil is too wet, they'll rot before sprouting.

As for the calculus, well...how many times since graduating from high school have you used Algebra? Me neither.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, I don't recall ever using algebra after taking the class.
RB said…
I was reading about the arsenic in wines, fruits and vegetables. Seems some of it is normal because it's in the soil (who knew), but high levels, of course, would not be.
You ever had your soil tested for arsenic?
Me either. But might be something to look into with your state's Dept of Ag.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, in the years before us here, there were cattle and sheep. The crops were nearby, but I'm not even sure a garden was grown here until we arrived. I should test our soil too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart