Skip to main content

Curried Sweet Potato and Millet Soup with Pumpkin Cornbread


In my quest for locating more good millet recipes, I found some in a cookbook I already had.


Although the recipe I tried is in the book, it's also online if you are interested in making it - Curried Sweet Potato and Millet Soup.  I substituted pure maple syrup with our homemade corn cob syrup.

The results?  


Taste testers here voted.  The adults?  "different" and "good"  The kids?  Well, there were various results with the kids.  I don't think all of my kids will eat it again.  However, I think this would taste even better with some sort of additional "hot" spice.

I only tried it because it had millet in it.  I may just add cooked millet to some of my own dishes that already call couscous, quinoa or other grain as well.  I will most likely freeze this soup in containers for Hubby on days I don't cook and he needs a lunch to take.  I'm pretty sure only one of the girls will eat the leftovers.

My 17 year-old helped with dinner too, and mixed up another new recipe I found in a cookbook - Pumpkin cornbread.  I've baked "squash" cornbread before, but this recipe contains different ingredients, and even molasses.

This recipe received raving results - all thumbs up.



Pumpkin Cornbread 
(adapted with organic, non-gmo, homegrown ingredients, and using aluminum free baking powder, from the cookbook, Recipes from the Old Mill, by Sarah E. Myers and Mary Beth Lin.)

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin (or winter squash puree)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup non-gmo/organic canola oil
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Sift cornmeal, flours, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large mixing bowl.  (Add coarse cornmeal particles that do not go through sifter to the sifted ingredients.)

Beat eggs lightly in a separate bowl.  Whisk in pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, and molasses.

Make a well in the dry mixture.  Add liquids and blend batter with a few quick strokes, just until no traces of flour remain.  Add pecans during the last few strokes, if desired.

Pour batter into a greased 10" glass pie pan or a 9" square baking pan.

Bake at 400°F for approximately 30 minutes, until cornbread is browned and the surface has a slightly springy feel.


Comments

Susan said…
That meal sounds so warm and comforting -- I wonder if I could convert that cornbread to a GF version. I love pumpkin, sweet potato and winter squash!
Susan, I've baked muffins by making flour from millet. Not sure if it would work in this bread or not.
Debby Flowers said…
I can't wait to try this cornbread recipe too. We just had cornbread last night, and my recipe is tasty, but crumbly, so I am looking for a moister version. Thank you too for the Coffee Jelly recipe, which I am also impatient to try; I know just the coffee enthusiast that it will make a great Christmas gift for.

I will add a tip you may want to try sometime. I used to throw the leftover cornbread to the chickens but I save it now and crumble it in a pan with milk for breakfast. It thickens when you heat it and makes a very speedy cornmeal mush type of porridge.
Debby, thank you for the cornbread tip. That's a wonderful way to use it up.
Sam I Am...... said…
The cornbread recipe sounds wonderful.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart