Skip to main content

Crazy Weather ~ Scaling Back the Holidays


How cold is it?

Cold enough to freeze eggs in the coop overnight.  Not just one, but three.



Yesterday I did not put on any jewelry, just so it didn't make me any colder when I was.  I wore Hubby's handmade crocheted cap all day indoors.  It's time I crochet myself one.  

As for my writing.  It's not.  I'm so far behind.  It's either spend days and days making up for it, or "chuck it" this year and get the Christmas presents worked on.  Not sure what to do, because when I told Hubby, he said "write."

He has faith in me.  

Our weather is only getting up to the low 40's this weekend, and then rain.  Saturday looks like the best day for splitting wood.

As far as "scaling back" goes, we are not going to bake the plethora of cookies we typically do each year.  Each year we say that, and each year we go broke baking, and then gorge ourselves with all of the leftovers (that carry through the New Year).  

This year, we are taking a family vote (Hubby, the kids and I) on what to make.  The first two we came up with are Buckeyes and our family favorite Angel Cut out cookies with butter frosting.  I think I might add the sorghum candy too. Those were absolutely delicious.  I made it last January to give it a try and everyone here liked it. 

Comments

Now that is cold! We are scaling back as well in every area. I don't feel the need to get things that we don't need. Have a great day you! Nicole xo
Mama Pea said…
It's cold here too (high of 6° today forecast -- brrrr!), but this weekend is supposed to get ABOVE freezing. WA-hoo! We're going to try to wash outside windows (are we a little late on this task or what?) so we can actually see out of them this winter. Don't know why that job gets put off every year until doing it is either impossible or . . . painful!

I'm really thinking of scaling way back on holiday baking this year also. Hubby says to forget it completely (nobody needs all that sugar) but it would just not seem right without a couple (3 or 4?) varieties of cookies. What to do, what to do!
Mama Pea, my windows have not been cleaned yet either. You should have heard youngest today, when I announced we were not baking a plethora of cookies and candies. Ha ha! And she's typically the healthy one around here too.
Sam I Am...... said…
Brr....cold here too! Usually 60's 70's and it's been in the 30's daytime and teens at night and it snowed! We've broken al kind sof records.
I'm not sure I'll make it with all my gifts yet to make. I may start sewing as that takes less time than knitting/crocheting.
I may have to rethink my "presents" left to make. MY feet are cold...I need to go put up the thermostat a notch! I don't mind the cold but I don't like to be cold.
Sam I am, I'm trying to rethink my gifts too. After this Christmas I'll have to start on handiwork before spring planting.
Susan said…
Once I realized I was gluten intolerant, that put the kabosh on my holiday baking. However, I am the only one in the family that bakes Christmas cookies and I am now faced with guilt. I may bake a couple just to make everyone happy. I find that it's very difficult to write when you're cold - sounds strange, but it's true for me. Handiwork, however, keeps my hands warm... :)
Unknown said…
I've cut way back over the years, especially with the kids grown up and out on their own. I still make shortbread and some spicy swedish ginger cookies (with ground almonds and raisins) too delish to miss.
Liz said…
I had to chuckle on the window washing. I have been waiting for the field across from us to be combined before I did them They are finally doing it today. I sure hope it warms up or those windows will have to wait until spring! My MIL always made buckeyes! YUM!
I've got the gifts to make still.
I need to make the list!
That helps me stay on task,you know?

Last year, I bought deeply discounted Christmas/Snowflake motif coffee mugs @ .10¢ each. My plan is homemade cocoa, choc covered spoons, and mittens and gloves for all the kiddos. wrapped in their own totes.
We'll see how that goes!
We're traveling tomorrow into the Ozarks for a five day stay in some cabins.
I'm looking forward to the break.
Can't remember where you are --- but there is supposed to be a break in the weather for a while there.
You stay warm!
Have a great weekend.
Oh I remember those days we do not have any chickens now but oh so many frozen eggs.B
RB said…
Wow!!! Grew up in NW PA with chickens and never saw eggs freeze right in the coop. Are the hens ok? They must've gotten cold too.
When it got to a certain temperature outside, can't remember what it would have to be, our dad cranked up a kerosene heater in the coop. Oftentimes you'd go in there to gather eggs, and it'd be warmer in the hen house than it was in the main farm house. LOL
Down here in the south, we just put a small heat bulb in the chicken coop, and it seems to do 'em just fine.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart