Skip to main content

Kitchen Madness


We finally got some rain.  It's back to humid and hot.  


I've been busy in the kitchen - freezing green peppers, jalapenos, more green beans, some tomatoes, and cauliflower.  Our popcorn is on, and looks pretty promising (although small), but my watermelon is questionable.

What else have I been up to?




I canned 10 - 1/2 pints of homemade ketchup. That used up 20 pounds of tomatoes.  I'll have a "how to" post on this ketchup soon.



(onions cooking in butter)
(Onion soup cooling)

I cooked up and froze 6 quarts of homemade onion soup (Ball Blue Book recipe), using organic beef broth, and homegrown onions.  I love the smell of onions cooking in real butter.  Mmmm!  That used us 4 pounds of onions.

Update on this soup 3/4/2015:  It is very versatile in meal planning.  I have used it as a base for a potato/corn chowder (or soup), and also for a homemade crock pot Pasta e Pagioli.  With the onions in the broth, it's a wonderful to have on hand during winter months.  It saves money and time as well.




I pulled out the dehydrator and dried more onions, and ground it down for onion powder.



Cut more rosemary to stock up for winter and spring.




The kids are back to school.  Sigh....baked them homemade chewy granola bars to pack in their lunches.



I roasted a few smaller spaghetti squashes, and made our favorite dinner with it.  This has fresh tomato, basil, onion, garlic, olives and feta cheese.  Mmmmm!   I roast them in a bit of water (cut side down), covered in foil, vs. oil as the recipe suggests.  My youngest goes back for seconds with this dish.
 



I got a few more of these granny dishcloths finished.  They are pretty quick to make.  I found the tutorial online (Miss Abigail's Hope Chest).

.......and I'm back in the kitchen today.  I think I'm going to need another pot of hot coffee.  First, I must go get my laundry on the line and care for the chickens.

Comments

Susan said…
Thank you for all the links! I am going to make those granola bars as I'm always looking for healthy snacks (that I can make myself). And YES on the ketchup post! I only made one half pint last year and was not satisfied with the results. You must be exhausted by the end of the day!
Connie said…
I'm so happy that I read your post this morning. This is my shopping day. I love spaghetti squash and usually eat it with butter and salt and pepper, but tonight I'm going to try it your way. It looks so yummy! I'm always looking for new fresh ideas. Food should never be boring :) I am new to gardening and yesterday I grated zucchini and put 10 - 3 cup bags in the freezer to use in my zucchini bread recipe through the winter. I thought that they might be good to add to soup also. Do you freeze zucchini, if so how and for what purposes. Like I said, I'm new to country living and gardening and I can use all the helpful hints that I can get.
Keep Smiling.
Your blogging sister,
Connie :)
Susan, I see on the granola bar recipe I left out the amount of vanilla. I'll double check it, but it can't be more than 2 tsp. More likely 1 tsp. I'll post as soon as I double check that.
Connie, I freeze my zucchini every garden season (when I have it). I grate some to freeze for breads and muffins (even cornbread). I slice in coins and 1/2 coins and freeze for casseroles, sauces, stir-fry, and other baked dishes. I do blanch the coins or slices of zucchini before I freeze it.
Mama Pea said…
The onion soup looks WONDERFUL! I'm going to pull out my Blue Book and look at the recipe.

Your "in hand" green pepper looks much larger than mine posted recently. You win!

I have so much to do outside right now. Rain Monday and Tuesday. Today no rain (yet) but it's very gray and very, very wet out there. I really MUST pick blueberries and raspberries but I'll have to put on a wet suit to do it!
Mama Pea, I had to laugh when I saw the picture after I took it. It was the only pepper that big though. The rest were smaller, but still crunchy and good. The onion soup smells so good. I have used up almost all of our home grown onions now - only a few left. I did lose some that simply did not grow, but may grow more (or larger ones) next year.
What an inspiring post friend! Boy have you been busy!! I need to look at that recipe for those granola bars...they look amazing! And those dishcloths are awesome!!! Thanks for sharing all of this goodness...I am off to check it all out! Happy week to you! Nicole xoxo
Michelle said…
Wow you have been busy. I am going to try your recipe for dinner tomorrow. I love squash. Your granny squares look great.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart