Skip to main content

From Pile to File ~ Spring Prep


Do you have pickles in your pantry?   Do you grow green onions or chives in your herb garden?

If you do, you may enjoy using them for this new recipe we tried.  I've been talking about increasing our salmon, and clearing out my hoarded pile of recipes, so here is another adapted recipe that we are keeping.


Salmon Macaroni Salad
(adapted from "Aunt Sue's Salmon Macaroni Salad, from The Lazy Days of Summer Cookbook, by Jane Watson Hopping)

1 - 12 oz. box of bow tie pasta
(cook according to directions, rinse with cold water and drain)

In a mixing bowl, combine the following:
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded salmon (boneless, skinless)
4 Tbsp. organic lemon juice (or fresh squeezed)
1 cup pickles, chopped*
4 Tbsp. chopped green onions or chives (fresh)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/8th tsp. paprika
pepper to taste

Add cooled pasta to the mixture, and mix gently.  Chill in the refrigerator.  Toss gently prior to serving.

*Note:  I simply used whatever dill or bread and butter pickles I had canned in the previous season.  I may even try this with my home canned sweet pickle relish next.  I also used bottled (organic) lemon juice (what I had on hand).

I'm looking forward to making this in the spring and summer, when hot food is not desired, and my herb garden is  flourishing. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


You can tell, by simply looking out the window that snow is on the way.  The two female barn cats were put back outside, considering temperatures will be in the upper 20's or higher today.  However, Timmy is staying inside for two more days.  Once his medication is finished we can let him back out.  He is climbing the walls in that kennel.  We let him out to eat and drink and stretch, and then it's back in for him.  He hates it, but he does sleep.  I think he knows we won't make him stay in forever.  He is constantly walking to the door and looking up at us, as if he is asking "Can I please go out now?"

There is proof to my rule here about not letting chickens out until after mid-morning.  While letting the dogs out early today, I could hear Mr. Owl hooting.

Today we are discussing the number of meat chickens and what breed to buy this spring.  I have a bad feeling that we are too late this spring, but will look into it anyway.  I think it was around late March we ordered 30 white rocks last year (so we may still have time).  We did increase our barred rocks by 6 also.  I'm not sure that we need to increase our layers just yet.  However, the white rocks were not big chickens, so we may change that to a different breed.  However, if you don't try different ones, you don't have the first hand knowledge either, right?

And that makes me think about the supplies we will need.  I think we have enough feeders and watering units, but will need containers and chicken wire, and new heat lamps and bulbs.  And then there is the question of containing them outside without losing any to raccoons, owls and hawks.

Spring is also a good time to cut wood for the next winter.   Oh, the list is growing now....at least I won't have to hustle and bustle to make jelly and jam for market this year (phew!).

This makes me realize what little time I have left for working on handiwork.

Comments

Michelle said…
What a great way to use Salmon.I usually just make Salmon Patties or dip. Thanks for sharing a new way to use it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart