Skip to main content

Almanac Update ~ Goats ~ Writing Updates


The Farmer's Almanac was right on target yesterday.  It snowed most of the day, but melted away by dinner time.

It's a good thing I was home too.  I went outside for something and heard Misty (another lamancha goat) crying out in the goat fence.  I was confused, because the barn door had not been opened for them to be out yet.


I discovered all the goats were inside but Rue and Misty.  She was so upset, crying, and crying.  Here, they had somehow unhooked the small sliding animal door, and squeezed out one side, but the other side remained latched. Misty, with her horns, could not get back in.  When I opened the door, she came running in covered in snow and crying.

Then late in the evening, when I went out to get the mail, I could hear her crying again.  Seriously?  She was the only one out this time and couldn't get herself back in. 

 I awoke at 3:00am this morning, and could not go back to sleep.  I realized that I had not double checked my deadline for the next freelance article - March 28th. Yikes.  It is not like me to wait until the last minute.

My current book. 

I bought it a year ago or so, with the intention of reading it on one of our own island trips, but did not.  In my cleaning frenzy, this book was found again.  Sometimes I like to just pick a book by the title alone, without reading the cover.  So far, I'm enjoying it.

In lieu of Hubby approaching a busier time at work, including working all weekend (for many weeks), I think I will surprise him with a candlelight dinner - red quinoa crusted Michigan caught salmon on a salad bed of baby kale, and possibly fresh fruit.

Updating to share the recipe link.  It's actually called Crunchy Salmon with Apple and Baby Kale Salad (Good Housekeeping magazine, April 2013) - another recipe from pile to file.  Note:  I did not follow the directions completely.  If you search for "quinoa crusted salmon" online, you can find more recipes.  I used red quinoa, onion, oil and turmeric and parsley (mixed with quinoa) on the salmon.

Comments

EMMA said…
Wow that dinner sounds delicious!
Snowing here again today!
Carolyn said…
It amazes me how STUPID goats can be. We have a horned goat that gets his head stuck in the same spot, every day, and only five minutes after I release him. There is NOTHING on the other side that he can eat, or even SEE to eat.
Michelle said…
Sounds like a great dinner. You might need some new locks. Hopefully they don't figure them out.
Mama Pea said…
What a great wife and woman you are to go to that extra effort of making a candlelit dinner for your good husband. Not so easy to do when you're both so busy. But important. Good reminder!

Popular posts from this blog

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...